Author Topic: show computer management  (Read 1403 times)

Offline CourtBard

show computer management
« on: November 28, 2011, »
I was wondering what people are doing with their show computers. Do you just leave them on 24 7? Do you try to remember to get it turned on before your show is scheduled to set and then turn it off at the end of the night? Is there a way to automatically have the computer turn on and off at specified times?

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
show computer management
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, »
My show computer has been on for around a year! I only restart when required by an update or something. But I'm sure there are many different opinions on this!

Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
Re: show computer management
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, »
On 24/7 we brodcast Christmas music and show promos when the show is not running.
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline rimist

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, »
Most computers have a RTC time that can be set it the BIOS to turn it on at a predetermined time.
In order for your scheduling app to work it either needs to be a service or the computer needs auto logon.
As far as turning off you can schedule a command to run. I believe it is something like 'net shutdown now' Google it to verify.

I need to get back outside hanging lights :)

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, »
Generally speaking I never turn off my show computer until after the season.  Then I put it away and don't power it up until next Oct or Sept to get everything set up for Halloween.  I very seldom ever turn off any of my computers, but I have most all of them on UPS devices as well.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rimist

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, »
My previous response was in answer to the question asked. However, the reality is I don't turn of my computer either.

The only problem I had so far was when Vixen suddenly got stuck repeating the same segment of music and DMX, perhaps 250 ms long. It was caused by my five year old daughter deciding to play a video game on my laptop then hitting the power button.

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, »
Just to be contrary, I only run the machine about nine hours a day.

I need it up to start the LEDtriks at 3 p.m. The BIOS on my Compaq Deskpro doesn't know nothing about starting a computer, so I have a lamp timer do that. Scripts launch LTC.exe and later, kill it, launch Vixen at 6:30 and then kill it at 10 p.m.

The lamp timer goes off at 10:05.

By stopping the computer, I find that the likelihood of SSRs starting up lights of their own volition overnight is virtually eliminated.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline caretaker

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, »
I power up my show computer about an hour before the show starts and at the same time turn on all the power to my controllers. I know some people leave there controllers powered up all the time but I like to be on the safe side and power down when the show is over.
Jeff Squires