Author Topic: Anyone using SSR4's with ver 2 Ex/Rx?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline dlhoppe

Anyone using SSR4's with ver 2 Ex/Rx?
« on: November 30, 2011, »
I've been doing some testing and I'm finding that the SSR4 just isn't up to the task of keeping the Ex/Rx powered. After the SSR4 and the Ex/Rx are powered up for around 10-15 minutes, the Ex/Rx starts an endless "reboot loop". Measuring the regulator output, I can see that the load of the Ex/Rx pulls the regulator voltage down to around 4v or less. When it's in the reboot loop, the Ex/Rx boots and as soon as it turns on the receiver the voltage dips causing another brown-out which continues the endless loop. This is happening to both of my SSR4's consistently. The regulator is rated at 1A. However the transformer is only rated at 6v/83mA. I believe it's the transformer that is the power bottleneck.

I did some searching, but didn't locate any threads describing this problem. Anyone else out there run into this problem?

Dave

Offline dlhoppe

Re: Anyone using SSR4's with ver 2 Ex/Rx?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, »
Ok, I disabled the LEDs on the Ex/Rx and then put the SSR4 through a torture test (constant full bright on all four channels). The voltage feed to the Ex/Rx slowly decreased and then finally stabilized at 3.4v. The thinnest of margins, but this is a worst-case scenario. I certainly won't be using the SSR4 like this in practical use. Voltage climbs to 3.8v with all channels off, so in normal use the voltage should range somewhere between 3.4 and 3.8 when it's fully "warmed up". The Ex/Rx seems to be stable even though there's really no headroom voltage-wise. I also tortured it with the "pulse" mode from the DMX tester and it holds up ok with that as well. Although the constant full-bright test is the hardest on it.

Dave

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, »
Yup, that is the fix when using the LE/RX on the SSR4 the leds need to be removed or it could cause the unit to reboot as you saw.

Bill

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, by wbuehler »

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, »
Thanks for the confirmation Bill