Author Topic: bad triacs  (Read 2621 times)

Offline joshuashu

bad triacs
« on: December 01, 2011, »
OK, i have a version 4 board that came from a coop in 2009. it was the coop that had the bad Voltage regulator. I now have 5 bad triacs on this board? I do not understand this? I am using LEDs with typically one string connected to each channel.  I have tried resetting, and have moved moc chips around, and have tried snubbers with no luck? Is it possible that i have some bad triacs?   I am ready to get a ver 5 board and replace this bad boy. any one if i don't order the moc chips can i get just the sockets for them?  Just re use the removable parts from this board on a new one

Offline i1uhrace

Re: bad triacs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, »
What is the issue with the board? Light on when they shouldn't be or lights not on at all?
Carnation Christmas

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, »
Please provide more info - what is you setup, what type strings, what is it doing?
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What is the issue with the board? Light on when they shouldn't be or lights not on at all?

Light string 1 60 light LED c9 strand, is stuck on. i have 4 other channels that are stuck on also, but i have removed the load and moved things around.  Like i said this is from a coop from 2009 when we found the bad voltage reg and i know their were a batch of bad triacs,   I do not understand i am using all LED and have tried snubbers and still am having them blow.

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, »
Please provide more info - what is you setup, what type strings, what is it doing?

Using S3 with lynx dongle, this board is running wireless it is only 1 string on the load LED, have tried snubber using C7.

Offline i1uhrace

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, »
I have had quite a few triacs go bad on me as well. I believe mine were either cause by moisture in the cords or possibly on the triac itself. I found a little moisture had found its way to the board. It had rained here in Seattle extremely hard for days.
Carnation Christmas

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, »
Funny timing on this post.  Last night I looked out the window at my megatree and noticed that one string of lights was "stuck" on.  I have been using Vixen in timer mode and the sequence had shut down for the night so I thought it might have been a glitch.  I ran the sequence manually and that string would not blink off.  Went outside and opened the box and noticed the indicator LED for that channel was OFF even though the light string was lit.  Pressed the reset button on the board but that didn't help.  Ran the test and all the lights turned on, but that channel never went out.  Pulled the plug, waited a bit, then plugged it in and that channel still stayed lit.  Oh and the LED for that channel responded exactly as it should have.  Lit when I expected it to and turned off when it was supposed to.

So I suspect that it is a bad triac.  I'm going to pull the box in and do some testing.  It has been rather damp lately, but the board looked dry and I had sprayed it with CorrosionX last year when I put the board into service. 

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, »
So piggybacking on this one.  Is there a replacement triac that can be picked up at radio shack?  If so is there a part#.  I would order from mouser but i'm not up for paying the $10 in shipping for $3 in parts.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, »
Funny timing on this post.  Last night I looked out the window at my megatree and noticed that one string of lights was "stuck" on.  I have been using Vixen in timer mode and the sequence had shut down for the night so I thought it might have been a glitch.  I ran the sequence manually and that string would not blink off.  Went outside and opened the box and noticed the indicator LED for that channel was OFF even though the light string was lit.  Pressed the reset button on the board but that didn't help.  Ran the test and all the lights turned on, but that channel never went out.  Pulled the plug, waited a bit, then plugged it in and that channel still stayed lit.  Oh and the LED for that channel responded exactly as it should have.  Lit when I expected it to and turned off when it was supposed to.

So I suspect that it is a bad triac.  I'm going to pull the box in and do some testing.  It has been rather damp lately, but the board looked dry and I had sprayed it with CorrosionX last year when I put the board into service. 

ditto for me but this is on v5 board that is in its second season.  I also have a stuck channel in a v4 board on one of my mini trees so I know have a red night light in the yard.  I have a couple of new v5 controlllers built but no cords on them so as soon as I can make some cords I will be swapping controllers and bringing the failed ones in to fix.  Fortunately I have a couple of spare triacs.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Greg

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, »
So piggybacking on this one.  Is there a replacement triac that can be picked up at radio shack?  If so is there a part#.  I would order from mouser but i'm not up for paying the $10 in shipping for $3 in parts.

Try ordering from Digikey and for shipping select first class mail.  That's what I do if I only need a few parts and can't justify the mouser fees.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, »
Just an updates.  Yep, the triac was bad.  Not sure how it happened.  But the GFCI has been tripping when it rains and the plugs are touching the grass.  So maybe some rain got into that plug and zapped the triac.  Replaced the triac and it is up and running.  Thank goodness it was channel 1.  I really didn't want to have to remove the heatsink to gain the clearance to pull a triac in the middle of the row.

And as for Radio Shack, do they carry parts anymore?  I know they are trying to get back to their roots, as it were (selling Arduinos now) but the last time I checked, the selection of parts at my local store was abysmal.