Author Topic: Pic Programming  (Read 1853 times)

Offline cakeez

Pic Programming
« on: December 01, 2011, »
Just got my Pickit2 in the mail today. Realized I bout the debug version instead of the Starter Kit. So where do I go from here? I want to program my own but need some help getting started. Is there a board that I can buy that will be setup to program both the SSR4's and Express chips? or do I need multiple boards? Kind of new to everything, but I write computer apps for a living, never had to write my code to a chip before though.

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Pic Programming
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, »
You really don't need the starter kit to program pics. What you need is the boards to put the pics in to program them.

The dongle and SSR4 pics i.e.: pic18f2450 (dongle) and pic18f1220 (ssr4) need programmer boards. The Express does not need one unless you really want one.

Most members buy the boards from j1.sys You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You could get the whole kit of boards or just one that fits the two pics I listed above. Beware that the etherdongle requires the pickit3 since the pickit2 doesn't support that pic.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sadkisson

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, »
i purchased a pickit3 it came with a board but to be honest i have no idea what chip fits into what board.  i do see that most of the new lynx kits have icsp clips already on the board them selves so no need for a programming board im assuming.  i do plan on getting some ssr4 kits eventually tho.  it would be nice to have icsp clips on all lynx equipment just for the fact all one would need then is a pickit3

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, »
i purchased a pickit3 it came with a board but to be honest i have no idea what chip fits into what board.  i do see that most of the new lynx kits have icsp clips already on the board them selves so no need for a programming board im assuming.  i do plan on getting some ssr4 kits eventually tho.  it would be nice to have icsp clips on all lynx equipment just for the fact all one would need then is a pickit3

Little history lesson on Lynx hardware. All Lynx hardware before the LE v3 came out don't have the ICSP on board. This means you need a programming board for the following hardware (usb dongle, lynx controller, freestyle, ssr4-dmx, mr-16, LE v2). Without a major board redesign they will most likely never have the onboard ICSP.

All hardware since the LE v3 came out that and has a pic on it will include the ICSP. Which means you don't need a separate programming board to program/flash the pic. Of course if you are inclined to do so that is your call. :)

ICSP  = In Circuit Serial Port
pic = Microchip MicroController

I hope that clears up some info.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline cakeez

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, »
you are all more than helpful. I will be ordering the boards tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Are there any tricks or gotcha's that I should know?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, »
Not really, those boards require you to set jumpers for different versions of the pic. Like one pic will be all pins set to jumper W another will be to L. That site shows what is needed.

Rick R.