Author Topic: Smart Strings and Color Ribbons = OMG!!!!!!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
Re: Smart Strings and Color Ribbons = OMG!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would like to know more about your arches. What type of PVC did you use? Did you attach the flex strips with zip ties? How are you anchoring the arches?

I've just finished getting pixelnet working on one feature and am ready to work with my file strips now. I really like what you've done with your arch.

Nice Job Mickpat! I hope to do something like that next year!

As for my arches they are a simple build. I used 3 pieces of 3/4 inch electrical pipe (The metal kind.) And they are setup with no guy wires and have withstood 50 + MPH winds already this year. Also used 2 couplings to tie them together. I had planed on a solo setup but they were so light that the misses was able to help. ;)

They are anchored with 3 -4 foot re-bar pounded down about a foot then a 4 foot piece of 1/2 Electrical Conduit (The metal pipe) over the re-bar and then the arches slide on over that.
They will wiggle a little but that's all they will do. the 4 foot 1/2 inch pipe really added the stability to them.

I just zipped tied the strips onto the bent metal and it took all of 15 minutes for the arch. Yeah bending the pipe took the longest and I used some of the Grey PVC pipe i had as a template laid out on the ground. I just staked it at 15' as that is how wide I wanted them. I started the bends past 4 foot as that is where they slide over so the 2 end peices are not as bent as the middle piece on the top.

Anyway they really turned out better then I had hoped and no guy wires is nice as well! 

Hope that was useful to you and everyone planing on arches. I have not thought of mini's on them but they took a little effort to bend and I bet they would do just fine with them.

Ted

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, »
Thanks for the detailed info on the arches.
80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, »
Impressive flex ribbon tree. But holy crap, those things are bright!!!

I was mulling having a ribbon tree in my front yard as an alternative to a mega tree, but I'm concerned about the entire neighbourhood flashing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, by Gary »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, »
Tallan,
Are those Jedi light saber arches?   ;D  Great stuff!

I really need to stop looking at SS threads, I'm getting CLAP shakes for 2012 already and I just went live Monday...   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, »
Tallan,
Are those Jedi light saber arches?   ;D  Great stuff!

I really need to stop looking at SS threads, I'm getting CLAP shakes for 2012 already and I just went live Monday...   

<la..

Yeah they don't look like that live, but that would be neat for sure!

Ted