Author Topic: Extending Networking  (Read 2403 times)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Extending Networking
« on: December 05, 2011, »
Hey does anyone know what those devices were that RJ had in one of the videos to extend the network for the Etherdongle in slave mode?  They were wireless I know that and he said about $30-35 for the units but never mentioned what they were exactly or who made 'em or anything.  Just trying to stay ahead of the game here is all.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Extending Networking
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, »
Nope but if you brought something and the design changed they could be useless. So its better to wait until the units go to beta testing and see if anything changes. I understand about staying ahead but wasting money is not good either

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, »
Nope but if you brought something and the design changed they could be useless. So its better to wait until the units go to beta testing and see if anything changes. I understand about staying ahead but wasting money is not good either

Rick R.

I don't think they were specific to the EtherDongle.  He made it sound as though it was networking equip. that can be easily obtained.  Bought off of the shelf type of thing.  I could be wrong....

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, »
I think you are correct but it still doesn't mean the requirements can't change and those units won't work.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, »
if you are talking about his couple of etherdongle demos from master to slave.... he was using standard ethernet wireless bridges - i have one here at the entertainment center - it is linked to my wireless router, and supplies 1 ethernet port - i use a switch there to hookup the xbox, bluray player and directtv receiver.  All it does is pass the the ethernet connection back and forth once setup.  It came with a wall ac/dc adapter and a usb power adapter.  Hopefully in the future there will be a way to share the power to supply the wireless device directly from the conductor - one less cord.

the ethernet protocol/port should not change, so I have gotten a couple when on sale for future expansion.....

There are many brands, this one is a netgear i got at wallmart one time.
Myk

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, »
if you are talking about his couple of etherdongle demos from master to slave.... he was using standard ethernet wireless bridges - i have one here at the entertainment center - it is linked to my wireless router, and supplies 1 ethernet port - i use a switch there to hookup the xbox, bluray player and directtv receiver.  All it does is pass the the ethernet connection back and forth once setup.  It came with a wall ac/dc adapter and a usb power adapter.  Hopefully in the future there will be a way to share the power to supply the wireless device directly from the conductor - one less cord.

the ethernet protocol/port should not change, so I have gotten a couple when on sale for future expansion.....

There are many brands, this one is a netgear i got at wallmart one time.
Myk

Yup that's it!  That's what I was talking about...  Thanks for that info!  Now I can do a search...

I personally wasn't worried about anything changing where they wouldn't work again.  Not unless the world changes it's protocols etc. for networking.  So they won't be useless as suggested.  And even IF something changed in the etherdongle they could still be used elsewhere for regular networking....

Thanks for the info mykroft!  Very helpful!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, »
The big thing to watch out for is the Etherdongle uses multicast. If you can, best to make sure that the bridge setup will support multicast. If not, no joy...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, »
Well not exactly. If you are using my setup you will be sending Broadcast between the Conductor and slaves. There is only one packet per second per setup no matter how many slaves you have. The one conductor directs the show with the one broadcast packet per sec. there is no configuration it is a plug and play setup.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, »
ya, the way i understand it, it is multicast to the etherdongle (which is only on your local lan), and standard TCP/UDP network protocals between the conductor and slave cards via wireless (or could be wired as well).

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, »
Yup that's it!  That's what I was talking about...  Thanks for that info!  Now I can do a search...

I personally wasn't worried about anything changing where they wouldn't work again.  Not unless the world changes it's protocols etc. for networking.  So they won't be useless as suggested.  And even IF something changed in the etherdongle they could still be used elsewhere for regular networking....

Thanks for the info mykroft!  Very helpful!

Dean

glad i could be of info :)

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, »
Well not exactly. If you are using my setup you will be sending Broadcast between the Conductor and slaves. There is only one packet per second per setup no matter how many slaves you have. The one conductor directs the show with the one broadcast packet per sec. there is no configuration it is a plug and play setup.

RJ

Again from my network knowledge the way i understand this is gonna work is:

Only setup would be inital setup for the wireless bridge adapters to get connected to whatever wireless network/security protocals etc.  Which most of the time, required a wired connection to a computer with a specific IP to setup 1 time and then your done.  So if you have 10 slaves, just setup 10 bridge devices and then it does not matter what slave they are pluged into because of the broadcast packet on the network that the slaves all see at the same time - the slaves do not listen for multicast - only the etherdongle

Guess all those years of installing commercial networks is gonna pay off :)

Another thing I was just thinking about -

setup #1, a wireless bridge would not be needed if you already have a wireless router or access point that would be hooked into your lan so the broadcast syn packets would make it out that way.

setup #2, a wireless bridge would be required "IF" you dont want the traffic on your wireless lan to just keep it seperate or if you have no wireless router or AP to broadcast the syn packets to the slave(s).

Now this all "ASSUMES" that the conductor card chages the ethernet connector output from 4 sets of data like a usb dongle to ethernet protocol.  Also ASSUMING programming it will be from the usb port....  RJ?

Thanks
Myk

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, by mykroft »