Author Topic: How can I do this?  (Read 2495 times)

Offline mciaio

How can I do this?
« on: December 05, 2011, »
I want to have this next year:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My planning so far has been 10 smart string controllers, pixelnet hub and dongle being run by vixen.

My sequencing for this is going to be extremely difficult with what I see avaiable right now.  The only option I have is buying LORs software, which includes a special sequencer for this setup.  I assume I would need to sequence it, then export it as a LOR sequence, then import it into vixen.  Will this work?  Has anyone done anything like this?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: How can I do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, »
LOR software can now work with DLA equipment, but going to 12 strips will be expensive.  I have LOR S3 with 40 SmartStrings, and 2 CCRs -- the software was licensed for 2 CCRs and it appeared there was no way to use it for my larger needs unless I paid a lot more.

I also have LSP and it can do this kind of effect with SmartStrings.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mciaio

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, »
Light-o-rama software for 8-24 strings is $340!  Ouch.

"I also have LSP and it can do this kind of effect with SmartStrings."

How?  Working the grid?  That is a scary task for me.  I don't see anything in LSP that can make this easy.

I am actually looking for something like SuperStar Sequencer for vixen or lightshow pro.  Something like the photo attached.  Anything exist?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, »
"Transitions"

Essentially you can define your strings as lines in a matrix display, then overlay a video on that matrix.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mciaio

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, »
Great thanks for the info Steve.  What is the output you use to run smart strings in LOR S3?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, »
Great thanks for the info Steve.  What is the output you use to run smart strings in LOR S3?
I only had 2 CCRs, and after an attempt to use the super star software to create the sequences for more than 2 strings -- then finding that I'd need to throw more money at S3 -- I gave up and went to LSP.  There have been discussions in the threads hear and also on LoneStarHolidays.com that discuss how to configure S3 for Pixelnet.  I think the easiest approach is to create your sequence (in S3 or LSP) with whatever controller type you choose, then play it in xLights where it will be bound to a specific COM port, Dongle, and the appropriate controller.

Offline mciaio

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, »
After that video on LSP, I think that is the way to go.  I need to see some more tutorials on it so I can learn how to use it for my setup.  Thanks.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, »
I have 12 flex and am planning on doing the same thing - work is preventing me from doing it this year, but so far I have not found any software that is easy to do what starlight does - it is using the macro commands built into the CCS controller to do alot of the hard work....  In LSP - it all has to be done by hand using a matrix grid 1 block at a time - not fun...

Myk

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, »
This year I setup 11 flex strips.

What I am doing now is creating video using Adobe Premiere or After Effects and then feeding the video into LSP.  I taken a lot of practice to create video that looks good.  A lot of trial and error and fairly time consuming. 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, »
WOW Great display.  You obviously like precision with your light setup.  Great sequencing too.

What I am doing now is creating video using Adobe Premiere or After Effects and then feeding the video into LSP.  I taken a lot of practice to create video that looks good.  A lot of trial and error and fairly time consuming. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mciaio

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, »

Seriously, that is one amazing display!  Great job!

Without the SuperStar sequencer it doesn't seem like you can get the high resolution individual lines displays.  I will need to work on it in LSP to see if I can get it to happen.