Author Topic: MR 16 and 5050 led strip  (Read 2396 times)

Offline SteveMaris

MR 16 and 5050 led strip
« on: December 06, 2011, »
Can someone help me out please.  I have an mr-16 I have not built yet. I was planning on buying this strip: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am assuming I can cut this in 5 pcs. and make 5,3 channel strips. (15 channels) am I correct?
Sorry for the dumb Question, I know I am a couple years behind most here, but I am trying... <fp.
Also which strips are used for individual pixel control?
Thank you, Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmais68569

Re: MR 16 and 5050 led strip
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, »
Here is the one I am testing for next year.
it is a few dollars more but you get 60 LED/ meter not the 30LED /meter of the one you posted. I put these on my roof last night & they are very bright & vivid color. They can also be cut every 3 LED so your lengths can be a little bit closer.
This is only a recommendation. They will also work with you on price if a quantity is ordered.

Mike

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, »
The 60/M strips you posted about, and gave the eBay link.  Are they a common + or - ?  I guess what I am getting at is it directly compatible with the MR16?

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, »
Neither of the two Ebay postings actually say Common Positive. That is what you need to be directly compatible with the MR16.

I have LOTS of RGB 5050 ribbon and every one has been Common Positive. At the cut points, they always show 4 connections (+12, R, B, G)  If is says +12, then it is Common Positive. The order of R G B may change, though.

How were you planning to wire these to your MR16? The reason I ask is that I tried stripping back the waterproof layer and soldering to the copper pads but had very low strength joints (as in lots of failures once I moved things).

If soldering is your plan, try to mount them permanently before soldering. There are "clamp on" style connectors that you can try.

I have some of these and they work well. You still have to peel off the waterproof layer, then slide the strip in under the metal fingers, then close the clamp.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, »
Thanks for the link. I will be getting some of these.  8)

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, »
Hello.

In the description for the connectors it does mention that they are for the non-waterproof strips. Would these work well with the waterproof ones, and is the connection pretty waterproof?

Thanks.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, »
I have used them on the waterproof strips, but only after using a knife to help peel off the waterproof layer down to the "non-waterproof" part. There is also a thin layer on the bottom where they put the adhesive, but I didn't need to do anything with it.

Once you get the strip under the four contact fingers, you clamp it shut. You will need to re-waterproof at that point. You could use brush on liquid electrical tape or silicone caulking. I suppose you might want to put a blob inside the electrical area before you closed and clamped it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, by JonB256 »