Author Topic: Could corrosionx be used instead of dipping.  (Read 1677 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Could corrosionx be used instead of dipping.
« on: December 06, 2011, »
My SS nodes are from the second iteration and I have not done any additional waterproofing.  I've ordered some corrosionx from my local Grainger store and can pick it up later tomorrow (no shipping fees).  If that was sprayed on the nodes were the wires come out, would that work as good as dipping?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JerryPlak

Re: Could corrosionx be used instead of dipping.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, »
after this I also looking into corrosionx and or dipping to see what the best way to go ;)
Jerry Plak

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, »
A few people wanted a way to 'seal' their PCB's.  Someone suggested a product called 'CorrosionX' in this post i was reading awhile back.  We'll guess what, not only is it manufactured close to where I reside,  I was able to find a distributor that carries it and is available nation wide.  Grainger Industrial Supply - sells the product.  Part number "4DET2".  It is shippable.  I have used it and seems to be an excellant corrosion preventer.  Use it sparingly ( 1-2 'light' coats) and can be removed with electrical cleaner if you need to service the PCB for what ever reason.

Hope this helps anyone with corrosion issues....

Bill A.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, »
Since so many people had problems with boards getting wet, a coop on corrosionx would be nice. 
 6 oz canx12=8.95
16oz canx12=203.40

1 Gallon=93.50   And everyone just buys a spray bottle for the liquid corrosionx below.
4 gallon=374.00
5 gallon=424.00
30 gallon=2,158

Offline rimist

Re: Re: Could corrosionx be used instead of dipping.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Use it sparingly ( 1-2 'light' coats) and can be removed with electrical cleaner if you need to service the PCB for what ever reason.

Bill A.
Bill -

Can you recommend an electrical cleaner?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, »
Just an FYI- If you have the problem nodes like I did, Ray has offered to replace them with the newer better sealed nodes. But shipping them back overseas if pretty expensive. But better than spending 4-5 days a week cutting and splicing.

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
Re: Re: Could corrosionx be used instead of dipping.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, »

Bill -

Can you recommend an electrical cleaner?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
[/quote]

I'm going out on a limb here.  I work for American Airlines as a mechanic (I will not discuss anything about the Bankruptcy......), I'm not in management and I do turn a wrench for a living - In fact - I'm a Crew Chief and tell others what to do on the Boeing 777 (years of service does have it's privileges (26+ and I hope more). 

Now back to your question - We use several aerosol products for cleaning electronic components.  I'm not endorsing any of these, however, all are 'Milspec Approved' (for those of you who do not know what that means - here's the short version - Any item that has a 'Milspec" number associated to it has been tested and approved by DOD (ref:A document that describes the essential technical requirements for purchased materiel that is military unique or substantially modified commercial items. MIL-STD-961 covers the content and format for defense specifications.)
Enough legal jumble  -  Sorry about that, but it's just CYB in my case.....

CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner is the main one we use.  In fact - It has almost replaced the common degrease rs you would use (berrymans for example) - leaves no residue and dries very quickly.

Bill A. - Sorry bout the long post