Author Topic: Animated Santa?  (Read 6099 times)

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
Re: Animated Santa?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, »
On the pnumatic idea, at work we use whats called an E/P valve (mfg by Herion). what is basically is a variable voltage in = variable pressure out.
 now it isnt going to exactly positioning every time, but if you plumb it loop style, it is do-oable......yeah, different thread for that, but just throwing it out to the minds that know more than me.... :-X :-X :-X
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, »
Even though I'm a new guy, maybe I can contribute in this area.
My Halloween display had over 30 animated props that I've built myself.  I use servos, vent and reindeer motors, windshield wiper motors and pneumatics depending on the needs for each particular prop.  Since I'll be adding DMX to my repertoire, I'm very interested in Bobcats servo controller and ways in which I can use it in my haunt since I only plan on a light show for Christmas.  You can see many of the animated props on this years video - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Compared to what I've seen so far on this site, I think the animated props is the easy part.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, »
Nicely done Steve!

I see some wiper motors, massagers, pneumatics, 3-axis skulls and it looks good.  One thing I did this year with my pirate ship was to have air shoot from the back of the cannon pushing the smoke out making it look like it was shot!  Used a PLC to control the air, damper, and sound to trigger together.  Would like to move to one platform running it all instead of VSA for 3-axis, PLC's for relay triggers and LOR for lighting!  What is your web address so I can check out your behind the scenes?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Monroe GA
- Mark

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, »
Mark, I don't have a website but I do have videos of many of my props on my YouTube channel at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I use the Picaxe microcontrollers to run most of my props as they are cheap, easy to build and even I can program them.    With so many props running independently, those are big factors to consider.  Most of them are triggered by PIR's so that they only activate when someone walks by.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, »
I have a 10' animated Santa in the works.  It is sure to be a hit.  I'll get a video of it once the parts all get here.  It will be complete by Halloween this year.

Offline pokey

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, »

A 10' animatronic sounds absolutely overwhelming....  COUNT ME IN!!!!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.  Please share as it goes...I bet many will wanna follow on your virtual coat tail...

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mark, I don't have a website but I do have videos of many of my props on my YouTube channel at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I use the Picaxe microcontrollers to run most of my props as they are cheap, easy to build and even I can program them.    With so many props running independently, those are big factors to consider.  Most of them are triggered by PIR's so that they only activate when someone walks by.

I have a Paralax controller that I am playing with and will be trying out this year for the same but I wanted something for the dualing cannons that was all in one for triggering during the show.  IF you have a moment, take a look at these - They are here in the States!
- Mark

Offline caretaker

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, »

I have a Paralax controller that I am playing with and will be trying out this year for the same but I wanted something for the dualing cannons that was all in one for triggering during the show.  IF you have a moment, take a look at these - They are here in the States!
If your looking for "haunt" controllers of the Parallax variety check out EFX-Tek You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login it was formed from two guy from Parallax who now desing and sell there own version of Parallax boards.  Also for the Vixen fans there are plug-ins for Vixen for some of the EFX-Tek controllers.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, by caretaker »
Jeff Squires

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, »
I'll second the recommendation for EFX-TEK.  If you're looking for premade controllers, they're hard to beat.  Great guys, the prices are reasonable, they ship quickly and they have a very active and helpful forum that will get your props doing exactly what you want them to.  If you need them to, they'll even write the entire code for you to copy and paste into your controller.
I bought a prop-1 and an EZ-8 before I started building my own controllers and still use them. 

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, »
I have one of the Prop-I controllers and had to use it for my emergency lights on my truck in place of the internal controller that fried out!!  It was less expensive than going back to the manufacturer since it was not under warranty any more.  The things we do!!

Mark
- Mark