Author Topic: Unwanted channel flash  (Read 5717 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Unwanted channel flash
« on: December 07, 2011, »
I am running a combination of Lynx Express and LOR boxes. I am using LOR S2 software connected through a IDMX 1000 (thanks again to all who helped me get the IDMX 1000 running).

I have all the Lynx boxes that are at the end of the line terminated (terminate pins connected). I also have two LOR boxes at the end of lines that I do not have terminated (I do not know how to terminate them).

As my show is running I get (many) channels flash on that are not programmed. It happens on all the shows I am running (at different times). Could that be feed back from the LOR boxes that are not terminated? If so how do I terminate the LOR boxes? Is there something else I should be doing to stop the lights from flashing when they are not suppose to?

MSL
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Unwanted channel flash
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, »
I made one last year trying to figure out why my LOR controllers were having sticking channels (LOR protocol and not DMX).  I don't recall the setup but I think it's just the a 120 ohm resistor between the + and - pins on the last controller.  I used a cat5 cable and cut the end of.  Placed the resistor between the wires and plugged it into the open rj45 jack.

See this thread for more information.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, »
Thanks Jeffl. The link helped.

The only place I know of locally to get electronic parts is Radio Shack. They do not carry 120-ohm resistors. Can I solder a 100 ohm and 22 ohm resistor in series to make a 122 ohm terminator? Would it make a difference to have 122 ohm instead of 120 ohm as a terminator?

Should I do a 100 ohm and 2-10 ohm resistor?

I'm thinking of just sticking the soldered resistors into the 4 and 5 wire slot in a male RJ-45 plug and crimping it down for my LOR terminator. Has anyone else done this?

If I can do that should I get 1/2 watt or 1/8 watt resistors?

MSL

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, »
122R is good enough, as is 1/8W
/mike

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, »
Search on this forum for "snubber" or "easiest terminators".  I put them on all my LED lights strings.

Found the right thread
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, »
Thanks for the responce!

I'm going to solder up a couple of terminators for my LOR boxes.

I will let you know how it turns out.

MSL

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, »
Yesterday I replaced an LE with a couple of bad Triacs with an extra (unused until now) LE.  I noticed tonight that about 2 seconds after the lights from that LE come on they briefly blink.  None of the other LE's have this effect nor did the one that I pulled out of service.  I am only using LE's in my show.  If the lights are on for less than 2 seconds there is nothing noticably different than the other LE's.  It is only when they are on for more than 2 seconds that the brief flash occurs.  Thoughts???  I program using Light Show Pro.

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, »
I made terminators for the LOR boxes. All my Express boxes that are at the end are terminated. I still get channels flashing that are not programed to turn on.

What else can I do to stop the flash?

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, »
A little more information: All my Express boxes are v.5.

I should not need snubbers. Correct?

MSL

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, »
Yes that is correct. The Le's v5 have them built in. The ssr4 controller do not.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, »
I also have problem with unwanted channel flash with all the newly built LE v5. All my old LE v5 are all working fine. I will watch this thread and hopefully someone will be able to give a solution to the problem.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, »
I also have problem with unwanted channel flash with all the newly built LE v5. All my old LE v5 are all working fine. I will watch this thread and hopefully someone will be able to give a solution to the problem.

they are the same nothing has changed since the V5 came out so look for something different in their power, data connection, lights they  control, etc. if you can find a common among the ones you have issues with this is the place to start changing to see what happens. Maybe swap on that is doing it and one that is not to see if the problem moves or stays the same.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, »
Curious which DMX Out port you are using? The "pass the signal along" port or the "regenerated" port?

Part of the reason I ask is that if you are not using the normal DMX Out port (the one next to DMX In), then you should be using the Termination, correct?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, by JonB256 »

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, »
I fixed some channel flash on one of my LE and a couple of Renards with a few Phillips one outlet surge protectors with EMI RFI filters for $5 from Walmart.

This is the thread on DIYC that led me to this fix.

Here are the Surge protector/RFI/EMI devices
The back of the box says
Pure Power Noise Filtering (EMI/RFI)
150kHz - 100MHz up to 40 dB

I could stop some flicker by moving controllers to different outlets and spreading them over different circuits, but the surge protectors fixed the ones that kept happening. no matter the outlet.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, »
Not saying this is your problem but, I had one song that was doing the same thing. I double checked the sequence and found a tail end of a fade I did not completely delete when I was doing the programming. It was hard to see.....