Author Topic: Unwanted channel flash  (Read 5716 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Re: Unwanted channel flash
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, »
I purchased three Phillips 1-outlet surge protectors for my three input lines. No difference.

JonB256: I looked at what DMX port I was using. All are on the "DMX Out 2" port.

At first I attempted to hook all up to the "DMX Out" port but some of the "DMX Out" ports on my boxes did not work. All of the DMX Out 2 ports worked. I was going to look into that problem after the season; looks like I have to get to the problem now.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, by MSL »
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, »
I had some LEs that had flaky output via the DMX2, at least that is my guess, because even the Phillips surge protector didn't fix it.

I tried switching 485 chips and using a different cable to the next controller with no luck. Sometimes switching outlets to a different circuit helped.
Finally, since I didn't want to take them down to check solder joints, I just built some additional EX/RX wireless units to feed the other controllers and the problem went away.
Most of the problems I had were feeding Renards from an LE that was running wireless. I find the Renards a little sensitive and will probably switch to all LE next year.

Hope the info helps.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, »
If you use the first dmx output, be sure to pull the terminate jumper. Only the last device should be terminated. The dmx out #2 is regenerated from the dmx in, whereas the dmx out #1 is connected directly to the dmx in.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, »
msl,

Just to recap.

There is no wireless devices in the mix correct?
It's only the LE boxes that are having issues and not the LOR boxes?
The flashes are random and not consistent?

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, »

Jeffl: I am running wireless on three of my boxes. From those I daisy chain to 11 other boxes (8 LE's and 3 LOR's). The flashes are random spread out over all the boxes including the LOR boxes.

SteveMaris: I get unwanted flash on all my sequences not just one.

bcstuff: I am getting the unwanted flash on the boxes that are wireless also. As far as moving boxes to different circuits I have 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits spread out between my boxes. I am getting flash on all my boxes.

rm357: The 3 LOR's are at the end of my chain. I made terminators for those three boxes. I have the terminator jumper off on the LE's in between.

I did some research on the forum and found the answer to my DMX out" issue I mentioned in a previous post. I don't have one! According to posts on the wireless pages when running wireless the DMX out is turned off on the boxes that are wireless; only the "DMX out 2" works. My boxes are working as they should.

From the wireless box I go from the DMX Out 2 rj-45 terminal to the next box. From that box I use the "DMX Out 2" terminal to the next box (and so on).

I read that someone had unwanted flash with their wireless but solved the problem by flashing the latest firmware onto the wireless equipment. I got my wireless in the last coop. I assume it has the latest firmware.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. I still have 12 days before the lights come down!

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, »
Have you tried eliminating the wireless? I don't recall reading this in the thread.

Wireless is neat. Copper is king.

Offline rm357

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, »
A few notes on the wireless...

The transmitter works better if it is at least 4 ft above ground level (I do ~6 ft) and oriented with the antenna end up. The antenna pattern is not omnidirectional, but radiates outward like a deformed doughnut

The receivers work better if they are oriented with the antenna up as well. It doesn't make as much difference as the transmitter though...

The transmitter and dongle will interfere with each other if they are too close together - make sure they are at least three feet apart.

With LEs and a Freestyle, I didn't have any problems, but I never could get a DMX SSR4 to operate reliably with the wireless once it was out in the yard. Ended up using a TXRX in receive mode and running a short cat5 to the first DMX SSR4.

Also, the DMX transmitter functions in the same frequency band as the 2.4 GHz wifi. You might try using one of the other universes or going into your router and changing the channel it uses.

Good Luck.
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, »
MSL -  I had a similar problem and reprogramming the PICs in the TX/RX and EX/RX with the latest firmware posted in the Wiki solved my problem.  It was recently discovered the older version of the firmware had been posted there.  Rick updated the Wiki 2-3 weeks ago with the latest version.  What is posted there now is good. 

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, »
I reprogrammed the PICs in the TX/RX and all three EX/RX with the latest firmware tonight. While I was at it I changed to universe #3.

If that does not work my next step will be to run cat 5 to all the boxes and remove the wireless.

I will post how it works out tomorrow night.

MSL

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, »
Well, at least the lights came on after I up dated the firmware. There was some doubt since I have only used the Pickit 3 a couple other times.

The channel flash is still there.

I am going to make up some cable and hard wire all the boxes.

MSL

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, »
I can see good news and bad news coming out of this.  I'm eagerly awaiting good news.

Offline egenoup

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, »
what software are you using when the lights flash?  LSP, VIXEN other?  Today I had some random channels flashing.  I have sat and viewed most of my show a few times, but tonight I had some channels that were flashing randomly. The only thing that had changed was that I upgraded to the newest version of LSP.  So I downgraded to the previous version and the flashing went away.

<RANT> I will not be touching the scheduler or any of the sequences until after the season is over.  Then I am going to truly evaluate my stance towards LSP.  I like how the new VIXEN is evolving.  If they get the DMX and pixelnet outputs/controllers developed for next year, I might be converting over and dropping LSP altogether.
</RANT>

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, »
I went hard wire and no more wireless and the random flash still occurs. The problem is still not solved. Im not gonna worry bout it til after the season is over.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, »
I took the IDMX 1000 out and used xLights with the Lynx dongle to run the show. No unwanted channel flash.

The IDMX 1000 was causing my grief.

Seasons almost over. I have 10 months to figure out how to control the shows. I hear that we will be able to use the Lynx dongle with LOR S3. That is most likely how I will go next year.

Thanks to everone who chimed in to solve my problem.

MSL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, »
Glad you got it figured out and glad it was not any of my stuff causing you the issues.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying