Author Topic: Just built dongle, Green & Red LED's are on  (Read 1991 times)

Offline BCarlson

Just built dongle, Green & Red LED's are on
« on: December 08, 2011, »
I just built my dongle last week and took it to Jim Nealand's to get the PIC programmed.  We double checked the firmware and it checked out just fine.  So last night I tried to get vixen working with a test sequence.  Well when I plug the dongle in to the laptop, the red and green led's both stay on, with the green led about 50% intensity of the red led.  I looked through the posts, and double checked that the resistors were in the correct location and solder connections weren't joined.  I now wish I would have plugged in the pic and tested the dongle at Jim's.  So I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that something happened to mess up the firmware, or is there something else I should do?

FYI, in vixen, I'd checked the baud rate at 115000 and the com ports match, and the driver on my machine (windows 7, laptop is 2months old) seems to be up to date. But I get com errors in Vixen

I can't figure out if it's vixen or the dongle.

Help???

Brian

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Just built dongle, Green & Red LED's are on
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, »
The leds seem to doing exactly what they were designed to do. The red should be brighter then the green because the green is showing activity. Now in vixen did you go to the add-ins menu and check the DMX options? If so uncheck it that DMX is designed for Open dmx and not the pro style dongle.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline BCarlson

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, »
Ok, I have a theory.  I was able to get past the comm error in the vixen, but nothing.  I think that I had that last night, but a reboot synced it up since I unchecked the DMX add-in last night.  I built the LE but didn't have a dongle, and since the LE was from a kit, it was programmed.  So I ordered the Dongle.  Well I then built that and went on to vixen.  In re-reading the LE manual, I need to set the starting channel.  I did that tonight be setting it to 001.  But still no reaction.  I'm guessing that I need to do the LE config tool and set it in there, or is setting on the LE manually the same?  I'm hoping that my LE firmware doesn't need to be downloaded again, since Jim lives an hour away.  As my wife said "I guess the PICkit3 is my xmas present to you."  I'm hoping I don't have to go that route, but if I do, it can get here next Tuesday.

Am I missing any other things that might be a factor?

Brian

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, »
Yes you can set start address from the LE , if you are hard wired from dongle to le make sure jumper is on also if it is the last le put jumper on terminate, if you are wireless remove jumpers
Jeff

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, »
Brian - take vixen out of the loop.  sounds like your hardware address is set.  Download and use the xlights tester.  The only thing you have to do is set the com port in network setup and then use the light tester function.  No sequencing or sequencing software involved.  That will let you confirm that the hardware is good, then you can go on to vixen setup and post in the vixen section.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline BCarlson

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, »
Jim,

Do you have time for a few minutes on the phone.  I think I'm missing something from a hardware standpoint.

Lineman:  Jumper on the LE, what jumper?!   Ok, I've put the jumper on the terminate for the LE (I have only 1 hooked up)

Also, my data link light isn't lite on my LE, even though I have it cat5 to the dongle.

Brian

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, »
Thier are 2 plces for jumpers the little blue things 1 goes on the terminate and 1 goes on the remove for wireless if you use cat5
Jeff

Offline BCarlson

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, »
Lineman...  GOT IT.  When I looked at the jumpers, I saw Wireless.  I didn't see the remove text from my angle.  So, I jumpered the wireless and all is well.  Everything works.  Think everyone.

Brian

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, »
Glad you got it working
Jeff