Author Topic: Programming Sequences  (Read 3611 times)

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Programming Sequences
« on: December 09, 2011, »
Okay, I have done all my sequences by hand so far and have had limited success using the computer keyboard to help with timing and the like (can you say press space in time to the music).  I find this all pretty tedious and am looking for something more natural to do my channel programming.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to connect things like a MIDI Keyboard or a game controller like RockBand Drums or GuitarHero guitar to something like Vixen so I can use these to 'play' along with a song and record to the vixen 'piano roll' sequencer?

My more general question is how are you all programming your sequences and what have you found to work the best for you?

Thanks,

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Programming Sequences
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, »
Lightshow Pro has this stuff.  Vixen, I don't know.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This might help just add it to vixen folder
Jeff

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, »
 Lightshowpro is the only one that i am aware of  that is capable of being controlled by wii,smart phone and other devices externally.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, »
You may want to look at the Velleman K8055

I know there is a vixen trigger plug in for that board.

There are also a few vixen trigger plug ins for joy stick inputs that might work for you.

There is a wii gautar trigger for vixen also, but I dont remember where that is right now. You could probably find it or it's creater on youtube.

Just some ideas for you.

Offline injury

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, »
You can use your midi sequencing software then use the Vixen's included midi mapping plug in. Someone also has a plugin written on diyc forums that lets you control your lights live in Vixen with midi but doesn't save (if it allowed saving it would knock several steps off my procedure).

My test sequence with midi went like this.
Create a midi sequence exactly the same length as the song I'm using (I set the mp3 as the backing track in my sequencing software). I record the part I want to light up.
Then I create a "scratch" sequence in vixen with just a handful of channels I have in mind for that instrument part and the midi file for the audio. Use the midi plugin and map the piano keys to these channels. Then I copy from this scratch sequence to the real thing over all the channels I want with this timing in the real working sequence.

I do just one instrument/part at a time since for me it keeps things seperated like I like and it doesn't look like the Vixen plugin differentiates between the instruments just notes.

Seems like a lot of steps but was less tedious for me and the rhythm seemed better. Also the included plugin mapped midi volume to brightness as well which was a welcome surprise.

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, »
What are you using to make the MIDI file?

Offline injury

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, »
Midi sequencing software I'm using Reaper You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login hardware I have an M-Audio Keystation 61

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, »
Man I am having one heck of time trying to find info on how to really do this with vixen.  Maybe these input plugins are considered hacks... 

Some questions for those who know:
Have any of you actually done this?
What version vixen to do this stuff? 
What is the actual name of the wii controller plugin?
Why do the input plugins keyboard and joystick not work?

I would really like to try the wii guitar controller to do some sequencing right now but I am ready to give up.  I tend to agree with holland lights that vixen can't really do this.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline injury

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, »
I have actually done/do what I mentioned and use 2.1

Sounds like you are trying to use Vixen to record your midi input, never found a completed plug in for that. Using only Vixen I found a mod to do live performance only from Midi (didn't test it but several in that thread on DIYC said it worked). So that's blinky flashy without saving.

My workaround I mentioned previously, since my goal was use midi and save a sequence not do anything live performance.