Author Topic: Problem with xlights and a simple sequence  (Read 1354 times)

Offline DanHouston

Problem with xlights and a simple sequence
« on: December 09, 2011, »
I've been very happy with xLights so far, but I have one nagging issue, and each time I think I have it figured out it shows back up again.

I run a 2 minute sequence on repeat when my show is over. all it does is fade in/out a couple of channels while the rest of the channels are on. At some point half my channels go out and will not come back on again unless I run a different sequence and come back to this one or restart xLights. In experimenting even if I play this sequence, stop and then try to play it again half of the channels will not work.

I've attached the profile and the sequence.

A few things I've tried.....
1. Flatten the profile into the sequence
2. Converting the sequence to xlights
3. Adding a copy of this sequence so there are two in the playlist (thought xLights might have been having an issue repeating a single item in a playlist)
4. Adding some fades to other channels to see if they stay on (they don't)

The channels I seem to lose are:

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the sequence, and I have not figured out what the trigger is for those channels to quit working....have not sat and counted how many times it repeats before those go out. I am running 2011e.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline DanHouston

Re: Problem with xlights and a simple sequence
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, »
It does seem to be channels that I just have set to stay on the entire time. I know I added some fades to a couple of channels before and it did not seem to make a difference, but I did it again tonight and every channel that has a fade activity in it stayed on. The channels that were just on the entire time went out after about an hour (was not here when they quit working, but it was just after an hour from when my normal show finishes).

Is it possible that xLights is aware of the last status of a channel and believes it to be on at 100% intensity then it does not send that event again if it sees it in the sequence? What in xLights might cause a 0% intensity event to be sent to channels? I suppose it is also possible that there is some sort of problem with my hardware and it actually turned the lights off, but since xLights thought the channel was on and was only getting the same setting over and over again never sent it again?

I ran a test with a 1 second sequence that just has all 16 channels on. I let that repeat for 3 minutes or so to see if it might be a number of times repeated that caused the issue and that did not seem to do it. I stopped it and started it again and none of my lights came on (as if it thought they were on, so no need to send the event).

I also broke it down into several schedules to see if a new show starting would reset things, and that did not seem to matter (lights never came on).

I created a sequence that was 1 second long with every channel off, and that seemed to reset things and then the other sequence turned everything back on again (seems to support xLights thinks the channels are on at 100% intensity and since it just sees that over and over again does not send the data again).

Any thoughts on this? I don't really want to put a sequence in the rotation that has everything off so that when I turn them on again it sees it as a change and send that on.

2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, »
one thing that you may want to check as I had a  problem with Vixen not shutting off. Make sure your lights are sequenced to all off about 1 sec. before the end of your actual sequence ending.

Mike

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, »
For this particular sequence I don't want these channels to go off at all, even through the repeat, so they are on from beginning to end, but something happens and those particular channels are suddenly off and will not come back on again unless I send a sequence with them all off (or a sequence that does any sort of change in the intensity of that channel) and then run this sequence again.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, »
What type of network and what type of controller are your lights connected to?

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, »
DMX with the Lynx Dongle and a single Lynx Express
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2