Author Topic: How to use LSP with xLights  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
How to use LSP with xLights
« on: December 10, 2011, »
Little late to the game... LSP is not reliable enough for playing, so I want to use xLights.
Apparently, I cannot load an LSP msq file from xLights.  I cannot load the optimized oms file either.  It allows Vixen and LOR.

I saw mentions about exporting LSP to LOR but I cannot find that option in the software or the LSP help.

I thought direct LSP support was available, but...

Can someone provide a quick how-to on using my LSP files with xLights?

Thanks!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: How to use LSP with xLights
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, »
In LSP, click the circle in the upper right hand corner (just left of the main tab) to expose the save and export option. 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, »
Where is that "chagrinned" smiley...?  <fp.
I looked all over, I thought. 

Thanks for the QUICK response!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, »
Follow-up... if i may.

I have 3 pixelnet dongles, using COM3, COM4, and COM5.  (in that order)
xLights (e rev) apparently discovered this ok from the files in my common c:\lsp directory.  Network config started as

Pixelnet, COM3, n/a, 4096
Pixelnet, COM4, n/a, 4096
Pixelnet, COM5, n/a, 4096

I know that the lights will work most of the time with LSP playback, so I know that the wiring and addressing is fine.
But when I play my song, converted from LSP2 to LOR2 and then xLights format, I get only output on the SS connected to the first hub and first dongle.

I tried to set the last channel on COM4 and COM5 to be the logical channels (8192 and 12288, respectively) but that did not work as xLights told me that I was out of range.

Any ideas?  Do I need to change from pixelnet to LOR network type?

xlights tells me my sequence matches my expected configuration:

thx!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, by Steve Gase »

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, »
Hi Steve,

When you export from LSP it deos notexport the network id so you need to set it for each of your channel ranges.  see this thread:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There is a script there to help get teh networks set properly.  You will have to inspect your exported files to make sure that you get the savedIndex values that LSP exported correct in order to use the script.

Good luck!

Frank

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, »
ok.  i seem to recall that thread, just didn't attempt to absorb it and relate it to this issue. :)

i recall it was python, so hopefully my cygwin installation will work ok.

thx!!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, »
For the next person with the question, this is what I did...

• Installed ActivePython 2.7.2 from activestate.com (my cygwin installation with python 2.6.x was too dated and didn't work).
  • Download frankr's setnet.zip file, extract the setnet.py file from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and edit it with your channel number to network number mappings.
  • For each song...
    • From LightShow Pro 2, click on the upper-left circle icon and export the sequence as LOR S2 format (.lms file).
    • Run "python setnet.py  yoursequencefile.lms" to fix your exported lms file to reflect the correct network numbers
    • In xLights, use the xLights File converter to convert to xLights file format, and select the newyoursequencefile.lms file.
    • In xLights scheduler, use the xLights xLights file format, newyoursequencefile.xseq file.

In my case I had what I think would be a smart string standard hub configuration, so I offer my setnet.py file as an example:

networks = [{'stIndex':1,'endIndex':4096, 'net':1},
                {'stIndex':4097,'endIndex':8192, 'net':2},
                {'stIndex':8193,'endIndex':12288, 'net':3},
                {'stIndex':12289,'endIndex':16384, 'net':4}]

I read through the python code, and came to understand how this "should" be implemented.
Each channel has a savedIndex value that starts as 0 and goes up to the total number of channels.
On my network I had the following:
(85 pixels * 3 colors * 14 strings)  = 3570 channels.  But they start at 0, so network 0 should be 0-3569.
The next hub was another 14 strings:
(85 pixels * 3 colors * 14 strings)  = 3570 channels.  But they start at 3570, so network 1 should be 3570-7139.
Then I have hub 3, and it has 12 strings -- but it is followed with 9 channels for a star.  however those star channels are on the first hub.  they show after the 85-node strings because of the order in LSP.  so...
(85 pixels * 3 colors * 12 strings)  = 3060 channels.  But they start at 7140, so network 2 should be 7140-10199.
And then the stars...
(3 pixels * 3 channels * 1 star) = 9 channels.  Starting at 10200, BUT they go back on the 0 network.  10200-10208.

And the networks definition to use for MY setup is:

networks = [{'stIndex':0,'endIndex':3569, 'net':0},
                {'stIndex':3570,'endIndex':7139, 'net':1},
                {'stIndex':7140,'endIndex':10199, 'net':2},
                {'stIndex':10200,'endIndex':10208, 'net':0}]

Thanks to frankr, Mickpat
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, by Steve Gase »

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, »
Good glad you got it working.  It is not perfect but it helps bridge the gaps.

Frank