Author Topic: Problem With Lights Freezing on One Song  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Problem With Lights Freezing on One Song
« on: December 10, 2011, »
xLights is working pretty good for me this year compared to Vixen's scheduler.  ::)

A few issues, though:

The main one is that for one of my sequences, the lights stop responding about 30 seconds from the end--whatever was on at that moment stays on and whatever was off stays off. The music keeps playing, and once the sequence and song finishes, the next one starts up fine with the lights being responsive again. It does the same thing when I play it as a test without the scheduler. I tried turning off all lights starting a bit before the problematic area, and turn them back on after the problematic area, and the lights remained off. Would it be something in the sequence? I can't imagine the MP3 file would be bad.

Another issue I noticed is that when running the scheduler, my FM sign didn't turn on at the beginning of my show. All my sequences have my FM sign channel on all the time, and I have one sequence at the end of my show to turn it off. I did a workaround my putting a brief moment of "off" before turning it back on for the first song in my show. That worked, but it seems weird I had to do that.

The final issue I had was that the light/music timing was off by about 1/2 second, but I fixed it by modifying my sequence. Looking at other threadsa here, I guess I can fix up the MP3 in Audacity the next time I have the issue.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DanHouston

Re: Problem With Lights Freezing on One Song
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, »
Another issue I noticed is that when running the scheduler, my FM sign didn't turn on at the beginning of my show. All my sequences have my FM sign channel on all the time, and I have one sequence at the end of my show to turn it off. I did a workaround my putting a brief moment of "off" before turning it back on for the first song in my show. That worked, but it seems weird I had to do that.

That seems similar to the issue I am having after my show runs are complete. It things the channels are on and does not send anymore on data to them, but something has occurred to turn them off.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, »
xLights is working pretty good for me this year compared to Vixen's scheduler.  ::)

A few issues, though:

The main one is that for one of my sequences, the lights stop responding about 30 seconds from the end--whatever was on at that moment stays on and whatever was off stays off. The music keeps playing, and once the sequence and song finishes, the next one starts up fine with the lights being responsive again. It does the same thing when I play it as a test without the scheduler. I tried turning off all lights starting a bit before the problematic area, and turn them back on after the problematic area, and the lights remained off. Would it be something in the sequence? I can't imagine the MP3 file would be bad.

Gary sent me his files and the issue was the same one documented in the "xLights on Windows XP" thread. The mp3 file just needs to be run through audacity to give it a 128Kbps bit rate.

While testing, I noticed it was very easy to tell that there was a problem by clicking the "Play Item" button in xScheduler. With this file, the media player showed the incorrect song length (0:52 instead of 1:15 for Gary's particular song). So this might be a good test for those of you running on WinXP.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline sielbear

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, »
I use wav for all of my music.  I also have 2 songs that are causing this issue.  All my lights will freeze on one song.  On the second song, I'm getting multiple lights on when they shouldn't be during one section.  For instance, only red should be on, then only green, then only clear, etc.  I'll get red acting like it's stuck on, then green added to it, then clear - soon I've got every light on the house burning full brightness.  I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. 

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, »
Gary sent me his files and the issue was the same one documented in the "xLights on Windows XP" thread. The mp3 file just needs to be run through audacity to give it a 128Kbps bit rate.

Yeah, Audacity fixed it. Thanks.