Author Topic: Changing the Starting Address  (Read 1711 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Changing the Starting Address
« on: December 11, 2011, »
I am having some problems changing my starting address on some MR16s I have. They are version 2 boards and I have tried switched the chips out with other boards that I have been able to change that address and no change. I have probably tried to change it 2 dozen times between the two boards.
I'm using RJ's software to try to change it and I've tried using 2 different dongle and 3 computers. These controllers are controlling my RGB flood lights and they are a big part of my show, so if anyone can help, please, I'm starting to get desperate  :-[.

PS: I'm trying to change it from 1 to 17.
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Changing the Starting Address
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, »
I am a bit confused. You said some MR16s, is there some you can change or is it all of your mr16s?

If you have a controller you can change the start address than in the worst case is to use that one as you "programmer" and swap out the pic chips so you can get all of the set to the correct start address.

If its none of them then what steps do you take to try to set the start address?
Is the dongle set for Pixelnet or DMX?
If Pixelnet then you can't use DMX Deck or any of the DMX only software you will have to use a program that uses pixelnet, i.e.: xLights, LSP, Vixen (in no particular order)

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, »
To clarify, I have 4 MR16s, and so far I have only been able to change 1 of them. 2 of them I bought from another member here and they were set to different addresses, so they have been changed before, but I could only get 1 of them to change for me. And my other 2 are new and I cannot get either one of them to change for me.

The dongle is only DMX, not pixelnet. And the steps I took were: 1) Open RJ's Address Utillity 2) Turn controller off and move the jumper to program mode 3) Select the channel and click on "Program" 4) Turn power onto the controller again and wait about 5 seconds 5) Turn the power off to the controller and move the jumper back to operation mode 6) Click stop in the address utility.
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, »
Since the power for the controller is most likely a pc power supply try to just remove the negative wire instead of turning the power supply on or off. So with power supply running, Pull the neg wire off of the controller, move the jumper to program and then put the neg wire back on the controller and count to 5. Remove the neg wire and put the jumper back to operate. Put the neg wire back on the controller and test to see if the new address was set.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline koropuxa

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, »
I've had same issue, ended up being a bad PIC. It worked but couldn't change starting channel.  I was able to change starting chennel programming that PIC directly with Pickit 3.