Author Topic: Dongle Problems  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Raptorman670

Dongle Problems
« on: December 11, 2011, »
Hi I have a DMX Dongle that has both lights on but no data link led on my express. This is the second dongle I've tried with no success I did use the same pic chip on both dongles which was programmed by a member. The first dongle was a v1 thought I might have messed it up so I just built another one this time it's a v2 same thing no data link leds.
                 Dave

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Dongle Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, »
Hi Dave,

More details will help

What software are you using. Like if its Vixen do you have the Add-ins DMX checkbox checked if so than the lynx dongle won't work (it needs to be unchecked)

So Software, Do you have more than one dmx controller?, What firmware was loaded unto the pic, Have you tried different cat 5 cables, Does the LE test work, did you load the FTDI drivers, does the computer "see" the dongle, Are the parts in the correct location and in the correct orientation, Is the crystal the right frequency, and of course quality pictures of the dongle front and back

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, »
Hi Rick thanks for the reply here I go I will try to answer all your questions.
I am using Vixen no I don't have DMX box checked. I have only one controller,I'm not sure about the firmware because a member programmed it for me, I have tried different cat 5 cables, yes the LE test ran great, yes I loaded the drivers, the dongle shows up in the device manager if that is what your talking about,the parts are in the correct orientation,I don't know what u mean about the crystal being the right frequency? I think my problem has to be the pic chip becaused I used it in both dongles and neither one works. I think I am going to have to buy a programmer should I get the pickit 3 and will it have the right connecter with it links would be great thanks.
       Dave

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, »
I found for me, as a LOR user, the xLights light tester to be the easiest utility to check out my LE's.

Offline BCarlson

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, »
Dave,

I'm not sure this will help you in your case, but I had the same issue.  I built my first dongle and LE.  I'd plug in the dongle, and get green and red LED's.  But the Data Link led on the LE wasn't lighting up using Cat5.  So the issue I had was I needed to jumper the 'Terminate' and jumper the 'remove for wireless' and it all started working.

Brian

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, »
I sent you a PM, we might be able to work out something to check them out. You're about 1 hr from me.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, »
Dave,

I'm not sure this will help you in your case, but I had the same issue.  I built my first dongle and LE.  I'd plug in the dongle, and get green and red LED's.  But the Data Link led on the LE wasn't lighting up using Cat5.  So the issue I had was I needed to jumper the 'Terminate' and jumper the 'remove for wireless' and it all started working.

Brian

Thanks for the reply I did see your post and checked mine mine is already jumped so I have some other issue going on. I think my pic chip needs reprogrammed.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, »
problem solved, it was the rj45 cable from the dongle to the express.

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, »
Yes problem solved thanks to Chris who took time out of his busy schedule to drive over a hour to help me diagnose my problem. He checked the pic program and helped me figure out what the problem really was. I appreciated the help. What a great forum and members.
                               Dave

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, »
Yes this is what makes it a great place. We have all had people go out of there way to help and it often is what it takes to make all the difference. We have some of the best members you could imaging. Thanks Chris for display that sprit to help others.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, »
Yes this is what makes it a great place. We have all had people go out of there way to help and it often is what it takes to make all the difference. We have some of the best members you could imaging. Thanks Chris for display that sprit to help others.

RJ

This place always makes me think of the "Pay It Forward" movie.  Because that is what people do here.  We pay it forward.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, »
i wish i knew what that meant.  lol

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, »
i wish i knew what that meant.  lol

I guess you need to watch the movie.  It was pretty good.

Young Trevor McKinney is caught up by an intriguing assignment from his new social studies teacher, Mr. Simonet. The assignment: think of something to change the world and put it into action. Trevor conjures the notion of paying a favor not back, but forward--repaying good deeds not with payback, but with new good deeds done to three new people.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, »
ahhh, i wondered why is was such a big catch phrase