Author Topic: What sequncing software are you using with xLights?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Hello all,

I am just wondering what everyone is doing for sequencing? Personally I have a very convoluted workflow that includes LOR S3, Light Show Pro, and a myriad of scripts to tie it all together into something that xLights can output.

If you vote other post a note about what your doing.

Frank

Offline therealbigjim

Re: What sequncing software are you using with xLights?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, »
This spring I began planning this years show. I have only used LOR s2 and all of my stuff was in LOR. I fooled with Vixen and got the Light Show Pro during the summer when it was discounted. I got the up grade when it came out. I dont know if I was just being hard headed but Vixen seened cramped and very slow to use. I got mad and quit using Light Show Pro when I was exporting LOR sequences and got nothing but randon channels. When people reported having problems with the pixel strings I put off using pixel net and used S2 until S3 was released. Now that the Lynx dongle works with S3 I have doubled my controler count but am faced with redesigning and updating my show. I may do some DMX RGB still waiting to see if S3 will support E131. In some other threads it has been mentioned that some of the RGB pixel and strips have been problematic, I am waiting to see whats comming this spring.. 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Re: What sequncing software are you using with xLights?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, »
I can say that using LOR S3 and xLights I am able to control 1 LOR Network, 1 D-Light Network, 1 DMX Network and 2 Pixelnet networks.

S3 is good with RGB and through a little manual manipulation can be easily adapted to use Smartstrings instead of CCRs.  I am interested in what super star can do but it seems to be pretty constrained to CCRs with not a lot of flexibility to configure it for different channel configurations.

LSP is very powerful but can be infuriating. For me one of the biggest short comings is the way it splatters the grid with timing events.  The timing layers seemed like a good improvement but it needs to be adjusted to be consistent in generating new timing events only int he current active layer or else it is not very useful. I also hate not having as much keyboard flexibility as S3. For instance, in S3 I can hold down shift and use the arrow keys, page up, page down etc to select ranges for copying etc.  In LSP I have to use the mouse for that...

I really am hoping that one of the other projects can get off the ground.  The idea of having a true OO style sequencing interface is very intriguing to me and I would love to see a package come out and support that functionality.

Frank