Author Topic: Wiki EtherDongle Update  (Read 4512 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Wiki EtherDongle Update
« on: December 13, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

The EtherDongle Manual is online. Many thanks to mokeefe for putting it together while building his beta unit. The firmware for both pixelnet and dmx is also online. I could not find out what the checksums should be so that will be updated later.

Do note that the EtherDongle does need the Pickit3 to program it. The pic is also preinstalled on the board so you can't use any adapter boards just the ICSP connector.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline johno123

Re: Wiki EtherDongle Update
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, »
So the Pickit2 won't cut it?

Offline L8teron

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, »
I received my kit today, thank you all for your hard work!

One question with the directions.  I received 50k ohm resisters instead of 49.9 ohm resisters. Was this a simple error or should we use the 50k ohm resisters in place of the 49.9 ohm?
I double checked these with my meter and they are 50k ohms.

Thanks for the help!!

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, »
Good catch.  Mine are also 49.9K.  I believe they should be 49.9 ohms. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, »
Yes they are wrong be see the other post on it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, »
I did not catch it!! <fp. Oh well have to wait a while longer! Thanks for posting on the wiki! IF it were not there, I would have flashed and plugged in. I'm glad someone is on top of things! It sure is not me! :-[

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, »
Luckily it would not harm anything just would not work at all I expect.

RJ

Offline injury

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, »
Having some issues, maybe it's my eyes or just a noob at calculating from color bands. But I'm having trouble matching up the colors mentioned in the wiki section "more resistors" beyond just the previously mentioned incorrect 49.9k ones we were warned about.

Before I went and soldered anything I wanted to be certain see if the parts were changed in the package or just different than what the wiki was made with in the beta.

Have six tan ones that look to be Red, Yellow, Violet, Gold (Online calculator says that is 240 Meg Ohms, assume they should be for the 240 Ohms red yellow black black brown seems like a big difference)

4 Blue ones that appear to be Yellow Violet Black Black Brown (Online calculator says 470 Ohms, correlates to wiki yellow violet brown?)

And then according to our friendly online calculator the incorrect 49.9k ones are the yellow white white red violet

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, »
If you have a multi-meter its best to test the ohms of the resistors using the meter and then you know you have the right part.

There could be a slight difference in the meter resistance and the stated resistance. Its part of the tolerance band.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, »
I always use a multimeter.  Much faster than looking up the band codes and I do not use them often enough to memorize them.  Besides the multimeter is usually sitting right there on the workbench and with my old eyes..........
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline injury

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, »
I found a better calculator and determined the difference, the one mentioned on the 240. The wiki describes a 3 band 20% tolerance and the ones we were shipped are tighter tolerance.

I use a meter before mounting them too but I sometimes get a bit sloppy on which Ohm setting I'm using or see the decimal in the wrong place. I can imagine I'd have installed the 49.9k thinking it was a typo in the manual, or I was just using an incorrect meter setting. If not for you guys that pointed it out here.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, »
I have updated the assembly manual in the Wiki to match the resistors shipped in this coop.  The original manual was created based on the parts we used in the beta build which differed slightly. The photos will still show the original parts (until I can update those) but the text now has the color codes of the resistors shipped (no including the incorrect 49.9K resistors) in the coop.

-Mike

Offline twwaters

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, »
Mike,
   Do you know what the wattage of the 49.9 ohm resistor is supposed to be?  If so, what is it?

Thanks,
Terry

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, »
Terry,

All I know is that we used 49.9 ohm (yellow-white-white-gold-brown) 1% resistors in the beta build.  Since the incorrect resistors that shipped were also 1%, I presume that's what they should be.  RJ would have to confirm, though, since it's his design.

-Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, »
When we do coops we order the resistors on reels, sometimes the part numbers used in the bom do not come on reels so we use a different part number that does have reel packaging. They are 1/4 watt 1% resistors.

RJ