Author Topic: vixen to xlights  (Read 1443 times)

Offline devoidelk

• North western Indiana, 47960
    • Facebook
vixen to xlights
« on: December 14, 2011, »
What would be the benefits of doing a conversion from vixen to xlights instead of just running the vixen sequences through the scheduler?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: vixen to xlights
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, »
You can use your vixen sequences unconverted right in xlights. The scheduler in xlights is more reliable and stable. Not one com port error in two years of using xlights and my show always starts when I want it to. With the vixen scheduler I had to babysit the computer each night just in case of some error or just simply it didn't start.

With the latest version of xlights Matt added a file conversion that in most cases reduces the file size and it plays instantly (very important when I added smart string channels)

to coin a phrase, It just works

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, »
Think of the conversion process as a way to optimize and minimize the original applications sequence file for usage within the xLights frame work.

Only com error I have seen so far has been to user error.  I had thought the xTester application was closed; however, it was not.  So when I launched and started the xScheduler it crapped out since it could not access the com port, as it should have.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, »
Am I correct in what my experiments have indicated: that xLights won't convert Vixen 2.5 version files?

Thx.

\dmc

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, »
Am I correct in what my experiments have indicated: that xLights won't convert Vixen 2.5 version files?

Thx.

\dmc

All of my development and testing has been with Vixen 2.1.

Matt
Matt Brown