Author Topic: First Show/Sequence up!  (Read 787 times)

Offline Opopanax

First Show/Sequence up!
« on: December 16, 2011, »
I finally got a musically sync sequence up and working tonight. It's only a single song.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Video is taken with my SLR camera and the light sensor isn't quite up to snuff to handle the color changes on the roof line. Hopefully, I'll get a better recording later.

This is using 2 Lynx Express boards - but I'm only using 8 channels each board. One is controlling all the lights on the roof. The second is controlling the front of the house and the yard.

The trees I had planned for the front yard had faulty light strings which I haven't had time to replace. So that leaves me some open channels. I haven't figured out what to use the 8 free ones left over from the roof. It's on the back of the house, so anything would either have to be on the roof (we get lots of snow so gutters, windows only) or wrapped around the garage for the left side of the house.

Like I said first time, first year, and first musical sequence. I'll be interested in hearing your folks thoughts and any suggestions for improvement. Especially for my remaining free channels. Doesn't seem right:)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: First Show/Sequence up!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, »
very nice. i love that song..
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline meman

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, »
First off, congratulations and thanks for sharing! You have a sequence working and actually have the video to prove it; which is farther than some of us have gotten this year.
You nailed the ending, and thats what folks remember.
As for enhancements; you didn't mention what you are using for sequencing, but have the on/off mastered. Now go back and add fades or ramps as they call it in Vixen. This smooths the transition between on/off of different colors and gives more "feel" to certain sections of the song...a hard on/off is still most appropriate for staccato changes though.

Extra channels are a blessing and will CYA if you lose a channel during the season because you can simply reassign your sequence from a bad output to a working one and be back in business. 16 extra might be a bit much though, so add some more elements, or break up what you have. Don't now how your pocket book is, but put a few more of those window snowflakes on the roof and make them dance. I can't see the roof, but if you can attach the strings with shingle clips and space each string about 4 in apart, that will allow some nice effects...a lot of work though.

Have fun with it and thanks again for sharing,
Mike E.

Offline Opopanax

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, »
Meman,

Thanks for the suggestions and the congratulations! I did forget to say what software I was using. I'm using Vixen (2.1) for the software.

I had thought about putting 4 snow flakes up on the windows. What it came down to was the lack of a good way to hang them. That area is actually covered by flashing so Shingle clips do not work. I futz to get the 4 strings of lights up and I've been very hesitant to add more and risk the weight taken the whole thing down. You can't see it in the video but I already had  string begin to slip off the line and now it snowed so no going on the roof for me:)

Thinking next year, I'll put some o rings up by the windows and use that to attach more lights.

I've been trying to use ramps in Vixen and I've had very little success at making them look good. It seems the lights appear to be on "full" until right before they go out. I haven't quite gotten that smooth transition to happen. There's actually a few fades in the sequence and fact you don't see it really highlights the issue. I had thought it was from using all LEDs so I did put some C9 Incandescent bulbs on a couple of channels to see if would make a difference. I don't see anything noticeable though.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, »
Nice job on the lights!  Enjoyed the sequence very much!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, »
Thanks for sharing... I'm still working on sequencing but have a long way to go.. Now I know why this is a year around hobby...

Tom

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for sharing... I'm still working on sequencing but have a long way to go.. Now I know why this is a year around hobby...

Tom
I think the first year is the hardest while trying to adapt to the whole new world of blinky.  Its mine as well and its been a struggle at best but with all the smart ppl here and the ideas we see, it can only get more costly. Did I say costly, I meant fun. So I think if its one song and a couple thousand lights that's still a start. Next year will be better for all of us. Many ideas are gonna go thru our heads for what we should have done. Im done rambling. Merry christmas
Its the most wonderful time of the year.