Author Topic: LSP v2.x trails and tribulations  (Read 2604 times)

Offline caretaker

LSP v2.x trails and tribulations
« on: December 16, 2011, »
Many of of you like me have been a little (or a lot) disappointed with LSP 2.0 for this year. I have seen posts where LSP users would want to string David up with a string of lights and others who were just bummed out they have not been able to put on the show they wanted this year. I think the important thing to do once your show is over with (if you were able to get one running this year) is to document every problem you have had and send it (with log files, sequences and any other pertinent information) to David to give him a chance to fix these problems. Make sure you give him a detailed description of your computer (Operating system including service packs, RAM, Video, Codecs installed, etc.) as this can be important information when tracking down bugs. It would be easy for everyone that has had a bad experience with LSP to flame David to crisp on all the boards but I believe David truly wants to make things right and give us a program that make sequencing fun and running a show a breeze but with out detailed feedback from the users that will never happen.   
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: LSP v2.x trails and tribulations
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, »
I realize that he's trying hard. I post questions there without any response. Maybe he is working hard on the fixes. Its still frustrating to have issues with many ppl watching and the show freezes and I have to reboot the show and wonder why it happens. Hats off to him for the program. Let's get the help we need to fix it.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, »

<Shameless plug>
or you can just convert your files to LOR or Vixen and use xLights  8)
</Shameless plug>

LSP is incredibly powerful but the size and complexity of the sequences that we are creating now is off the charts and incredibly memory intensive.  I have one sequence that I had to redo in 30 second chunks and convert to LOR then xLights and then stitch together.  This sequence was over a gig in size and is only 2 minutes long.

The tool set we use needs time to improve but I will tell you that trying to control 8192 channels with Madrix would cost you a heck of a lot more than the scraps we pay for LSP...

just my$.02... This hobby requires some incredible patience and understanding. I have been doing this for 8 years and have used every software package except AL...  (Including spectrum and Aurora)  None are perfect.  Some are more feature rich, etc...

Frank

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, »
One thing my son said to me is to turn all background programs off. I did forget to do that. After the glitch today, I turned a load of things/widows stuff off and its been great so far this evening.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, »
Given xLights is free, and open source, it seams like the smart think for David to do is duplicate whatever they do in xLights.  Crashes are ok during sequencing, but rock solid performance is sweet this time of year and most of the packages have had their share of issues this year.

I don't use LSP yet, but I sure hope it survives, because without it, there isn't much competition.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, »
If the software guys get the seqencing working well, I am going to take care of the playback issues for them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, »
I like the flexibility that the computer gives me, but I will say you hardly ever hear of people having problems with playback when they take the PC out of the picture.

Offline djohnson

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, »
Hi,
I can only say that im working on the open issues and always adjusting the strategy. I think the amount of inprovements that went into the sequencer were not balanced by enhancements in the scheduler.

Trying to balance time, resources and priority to make changes that count, I will be doing a major rewrite of the scheduler starting january. Replacing the media subsystem and playback engine is over due, but I can only tell you that I WILL put this to bed.

Evolving a product is not easy in this industry, the technology changes and the resource requirements change so fast, its not unlike chasing ghosts, we are the bleeding edge people, but the software needs to be rock-solid and old-hat... change is the enemy to that goal.

Ive seen a lot of great shows, but I know a lot of people have had struggles playing well with LSP.
If you havent quite figured out the LSP sweet spot for your high-end display, please hang in there and I will continue do my best to meet your needs and expectations.

David
LightShow Pro
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, by djohnson »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, »
I think a problem with beta testing is the sequencer can be tested anytime but you have to have your entire show set up to test the scheduler and nobody has that until it is almost time to go live. I too have had problems with the show freaking out and it seems to be the lor controllers more than my pixelnet or dmx doing it. Restarting the scheduler helps when it does it. I will definitely be getting an etherdongle with conductor next year if I am not asleep when the co-op starts like the flood light co-op ;D

Offline egenoup

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, »
I think a problem with beta testing is the sequencer can be tested anytime but you have to have your entire show set up to test the scheduler and nobody has that until it is almost time to go live. I too have had problems with the show freaking out and it seems to be the lor controllers more than my pixelnet or dmx doing it. Restarting the scheduler helps when it does it. I will definitely be getting an etherdongle with conductor next year if I am not asleep when the co-op starts like the flood light co-op ;D

Then you must stay awake until the COOP starts....    <yk..     <pop..

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, »
David, thanks for the reply on this thread.  I really do appresiate all of your work this year.  I have enjoyed using LSP to create my sequences and have taken my show to a new level with PixelNet and LSP controlling over 4000+ channels.  I love the use of transitions!  As RJ pointed out, I believe the conductor will help address running shows with thousands of channels and eliminate the need for a PC scheduler.

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, »
For me, first time LSP user, long time blinky flashy user the frustration is the slow to no responses on issues from help requests from LSP. And never knowing when a patch is released. Good luck trying to find the latest version on the LSP web site.

We, paying customers, thought we would get better support then we get from free DIy websites like this one.

But keep up the good work. The potential is great and I haven't given up on LSP yet.
80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, »
And never knowing when a patch is released. Good luck trying to find the latest version on the LSP web site.

Public releases are always logged in the "Change log" thread in the LSP forum and there is a link at the bottom of the thread "Get this Update"
Thanks
Mike

Offline caretaker

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, »
Hi,
I can only say that im working on the open issues and always adjusting the strategy. I think the amount of inprovements that went into the sequencer were not balanced by enhancements in the scheduler.

Trying to balance time, resources and priority to make changes that count, I will be doing a major rewrite of the scheduler starting january. Replacing the media subsystem and playback engine is over due, but I can only tell you that I WILL put this to bed.

Evolving a product is not easy in this industry, the technology changes and the resource requirements change so fast, its not unlike chasing ghosts, we are the bleeding edge people, but the software needs to be rock-solid and old-hat... change is the enemy to that goal.

Ive seen a lot of great shows, but I know a lot of people have had struggles playing well with LSP.
If you havent quite figured out the LSP sweet spot for your high-end display, please hang in there and I will continue do my best to meet your needs and expectations.

David
LightShow Pro
David,
  Considering all the protocols (LOR, DMX, Pixelnet, AI, etc.) with many show using multiple dongles with PC's having different architecture and drivers I have been amazed that you have been able to get as many things working as well as you have. I for one really do appreciate the effort you have putting into the development of Light Show Pro and can I look forward to the exciting things that may be on the way. From what I see RJ's conductor looks like the future of things taking the load off the computer and reducing that bottle neck of communication. As this fledgling hobby is growing up by leaps and bounds I for-see standardization happening as even now most controller hardware is either DMX or heading that way and with a explosion in channels counts with RGB that may be refined again. Please don't take my initial post as a complaint but rather a call to support what I think is going to be the best sequencer program out there. 
Jeff Squires

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, »
I don't think anyone here is criticizing dave and his product.  We all have problems and issues that we talk about and want help fixing. I don't use anything other than 128 channels not the thousand channels with the extra blinky. I like the product, I just need help with it. This is all new this year for me. So keep up the good work dave.  8)