Author Topic: LSP v2.x trails and tribulations  (Read 2607 times)

Offline sielbear

Re: LSP v2.x trails and tribulations
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, »
I thought I'd chime in with Frank - there are some things that are simply put, impossible to do without LSP.  I also am glad David mentioned that he was well aware of the need to update the scheduler system as that is absolutely critical to a smooth show.  Frank and I have put together a simply crazy workflow that takes 30 seconds of a show in LSP, exports that 30 second chunk to LOR (which is typically around 196 mb in size), modifies the LOR file to be compatible with your network setup in xlights via script, convert those 30 second segments of show into .xseq files, and finally, stitch 3 - 8 .xseq files together for the full version of the song. 

It's time consuming, it's painful, but it's also bleeding edge.  I'm going to have to re-video my show now that I've got node control working for the first time this year.  Right now, the hardware is just so far ahead of the software that workarounds, etc. are required if you want to be on the cutting edge of the hobby. 

All in all, I'm glad I've got the connections I do with the folks on this board, lsp, and xlights as it's made my show what it is this year.  I'm looking forward to some great things in 2012!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, »
I'll say that as someone who helped on the LSP 2.0 beta testing that David poured a ton of time and effort into making so many critical things right ... and largely succeeded in most of the areas that mattered.  As he said, the scheduler is one area that perhaps didn't get the same time, but I'm sure it will.

I eventually had to use LOR S3 and xlights this year ... but boy do I miss the LSP 2.0 capabilities, esp. when it comes to the RGB stuff.  And not only that, but  4300+ channels of mixed LOR and Pixelnet ... LOR S3 is a dog (slow) under that many channels and the RGB capabilities are very basic by comparison.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dr. jones

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, »
 I had issues this year with LSP2 that were almost the same as the issues I had with LOR in 2008. With the large number of DMX channels and the speed of many of my cues, I was overreaching the ammout of data that could be sent. In 09 I was able to get the show almost working correctly by adding LOR mini directors to control each of the dmx universes.  This year I got the show working with LOR3 but at the expenses of a new i7 computer and 9 networks.
I really hope David gets the scheduler working correctly for next year as I intend on adding pixelnet
Here is the 08 sequence for reference You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dandyman

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, »
I've had a few issues w/lsp 2 (have upgraded as each new release came out), but have managed to find work-arounds for most of them (even the scheduler issues) and I think David has done a great job with addressing the bigger bugs... not an easy task.

LSP 2 is still the best software for the RGB/pixelnet smartstrings that I've found (at least w/o spending boatloads of cash).

I usually program the non-rgb stuff in LOR S3 (336 channels - imported into LSP 2) and the pixelnet stuff (2016 channels) in LSP.

Not perfect, but getting much better :-)... just my $.02