Author Topic: Wiper motor hack  (Read 1556 times)

Offline jess_her

Wiper motor hack
« on: December 17, 2011, »
The wiper motor I used is out of a 2001 Grand Am. I picked this one because it's compact.

YEL yellow  BLK black  GRY gray DK GRN  dark green  PPL purple
B+ 12VDC power, GND  ground, Park  wiper  crank stops in same place.

YEL is tied to  B+  and BLK is tied to GND.  Both are hooked up all the time, motor will just sit idle.
When DK GRN with a 24 K 1/4 watt resistor is pulsed to B+ the motor will cycle one or two times then park. When the GRY is tied to B+ and the DK GRN with resistor is pulsed to B+ the motor will run continuously and When the gray is removed  the motor will park. When the motor is running and the PPL is tied to B+  the motor will run on high .

How I would use this.
Using a MR16  install  two Bosh relays on two channels with a spiking diodes across the coil of the relays. tie the PPL wire to one channel and DK GRN and GRY wire to the outher channel. The YEL and BLK tied directly to the power supply.  When GRY and DK GRN are turned on the motor would run at low speed and when the PPL is turned on also the motor would run at high speed.  You could use a 110 VAC relay and use an LE or SSR4.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, by jess_her »
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Wiper motor hack
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, »
Looks promising.  Can you publish any end results?  This is something that I am certain a few of us are interested in doing as well.  I personally would be interested in the power requirements of it all and how you pulled it off.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, »
For others looking for wiper motors there is a good place called Monster Guts You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The guy that runs it does a good job of getting your order out quickly and has a lot of stuff for creating animatronic characters.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, »
I second the motion for Monster Guts. Their wiper motor powers the train that circles my mega tree.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jess_her

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, »
Well this tread is a spin off from the servo thread. I didn't want to hijack the servo thread. The motor I used is from a wrecking yard and I paid an appalling $16, gezz the price of junk is going up!  A question in another thread was asked how much torque can a servo handle. Well for most of us it's trial and error including me. What I took away from the thread was "would a wiper motor work but how can you get it to stop or park in the same spot". This was what I came up with yesterday and posted. So if you want just raw on and off repetitive power a wiper motor is the way to go.  From another hobby of mine, mechanical switch logic there is so much you can do with it.
Think about this one
You want your say deer head to turn left, right or center but stop at each quadrant at your discretion.  Here is a circuit that has not only park in three quadrants but has motor directional control. Humm you say. So what if we can use a Lynx MR 16 to do this. But you say Lynx MR16 only controls grounds to turn on the channels.  Well Check out this circuit.
On another note Rudolf is out there swinging his head around at mach ten, Humm!   Well what if we took a power transistor stuffed a potentiometer on the gate of the transistor to power up Relay 1 in the circuit? Now we have infinite speed control, Wow! Or maybe use a MR16 channel somehow. Humm directional control, be able to park the head in predetermine spots and control speed.  How cool is that!
Of course the ultimate Hack would be to attach a servo amplifier/driver to the wiper motor.
Maybe we could talk Mike and Dave into doing this, it’s beyond me.
BYW   it took me longer to write this then to build the cam/switch/relay setup
Only limitations in life is your imagination