Author Topic: Is the xlights scheduler dynamic?  (Read 2431 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Is the xlights scheduler dynamic?
« on: December 18, 2011, »
By this question I mean does it load a sequence at the time that it will be playing it or are the sequences preloaded when the scheduler starts.  I am always tweaking my sequences.  I will watch a show and realize that one section of a particular sequence is a little off kilter.  I go back to my sequencing (vixen) computer, make my changes, copy them to my show computer, then have to stop the show and restart it to get my changed sequence to play.  What I would like to be able to do is just copy the changed sequence and have it dynamically picked up at the next rotation in the show.  For me this would be a great selling point to switch to xlights.  I have been using the vixen scheduler for 3 years with no problems other than those caused by my rushing to do things.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: Is the xlights scheduler dynamic?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, »
I am not sure if that will work while the show is runnin but I have changed things on my seq. in vixen and then copy it in xlight folder it ask if you want to replace old seq . I would believe you could you might have to add it back to the playlist since it would be a new seq. but not sure
Jeff

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, »
I have actually tweaked a sequence of mine and need to update my show computer with the file. I can try it late tonight and see what happens. I'm not sure I want to try it at the beginning of the show in fear it would shut it all down for a little while.

Dave

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, »
xLights does not preload files. So you can update your sequences any time.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, »
So you could be editing you sequences in Vixen, save it to the xlights folder and it will play your edited sequence in the next rotation?
That is a really nice feature.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, »
Woopee.  Now I've got to get everything setup to see if I can get xlights setup for me.  So far I have only used it for testing my lights and I think it has the best test tools of anything besides a full blown sequence.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, »
I really can't mess with the schedule while its running.  If you do, at least for me, it crashes the scheduler every time.

I find it difficult to uncheck the "run schedule" box while its currently running.

So to me you have to quickly uncheck the 'run schedule' box (if you can) and then press stop.  Sometimes it takes several tries
and with my setup it crashes every time.

But with I just like xlights run on its own, its rock solid.

I've also had problem with the tester also crashing, so I might want to send my 4300+ channel LOR S3 configh to dowdy to examine,
as its likely something in my config causing the instability.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, »
I really can't mess with the schedule while its running.  If you do, at least for me, it crashes the scheduler every time.

You are missing the point.  You don't mess with the scheduler, you just copy an updated version of the sequence into the xlights folder and it will pick up the updated version the next time that sequence is set to play.  No new names can be used.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline gforman

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, »
yes it works and works good, I copy nupdated files a lot.  Haven't tried to overwrite the file while it was playing yet (I don't plan to) but it does work seamlessly

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, »
sorry, yes I misunderstood ... copying in newer versions of the sequences into the xlights folder works great !!  <rtt..
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]