Author Topic: trying to program smart strings  (Read 1470 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

trying to program smart strings
« on: December 18, 2011, »
Had a fellow DIYL member program my USB dongle for pixelnet. The checksum matched up, but I am unable to program two different smart strings. Two questions: Should the green LED be light while trying to program via the smart string utility? The green power LED in the hub is lit, but is there a way to test the hub and confirm it is working?

The dongle was initially programmed in DMX and I was able to use xlights in test mode to run my LE.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Offline kpurcell

Re: trying to program smart strings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, »
The green led on the hub is a power indicator for the hub, it won't do anything while programming the SSCs. Remember you need to have the programmer jumper on the SSCs shunted. Once programmed the lights should flash white. Remove the programming jumper and cycle power to the SSCs. You should now be able to control the strings. Suggest you try the color picker tool or the channel tester in vixen to verify your pixel strings are working.

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, »
Thanks kpurcell,

I have tested the smart strings via the controller from Ray. Other than an occassional node, they seem to be working fine. Since the dongle worked when programmed in DMX and the checksum was correct, I am assuming the problem is not there either. I was able to verify this morning that the LE still works in test mode via DMX out of the hub with the dongle programmed in pixelnet. A different issue I am sure, but I can't get the LE to play in a sequence. I have it set up as a LOR unit on network Aux A.

We did have the jumper installed on the smart string controller, but could not get them to flash white on two different strings. I read thru the manual again and it does not mention programming the chip in the SSC. Was it pre-programmed?

Just trying to find a way to isolate where the problem is. I hope to get back over to my friend's house and maybe swap out some parts in his set up. He has his up and running.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, by FireMedic4Christ »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, »
if the ssc pics are programmed, then they should respond to channel 1 on the pixelnet universe you're using. (since it's a USB dongle, it should be uni 1)

on the hub, there should be two sets of jumpers for pixelnet, they should both be set to 1
then you should install 2.1 version of vixen (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
and also download the plugin for pixelnet from the wiki

setup a quick sequence to use the pixelnet plugin (not DMX)

and see if you can get channel 1 to flash.

if the pic in the hub is not programmed, it'll still output pixelnet to the ssc
if the pic is programmed with the default firmware, it'll respond to channel 1 (first node, first color)

also, if you're trying to program the ssc, i believe you need to same version of the firmware, as the utility being used to program.

also, when choosing your start address in the ssc config utility, make sure you choose your address from the drop down list, rather than just typing it in. (although, that might have been fixed.)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, »
Might be a silly question, but it happened to me, did you run the Pixelnet dongle output to the SS active hub Pixelnet input, and then one of the outputs to the SS controller that you were trying to program?

The SS acive hub should be set to Pixelnet - 1 and Universe - 1 like chrisatpsu said.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We did have the jumper installed on the smart string controller, but could not get them to flash white on two different strings. I read thru the manual again and it does not mention programming the chip in the SSC. Was it pre-programmed?

J

Brian

No the pic in the ssc will need to be programmed before it will take the "Channel" program. Be sure and use the correct firmware. Use the Standard firmware. You do not want the "test" firmware. You can get it on the wiki.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, by rdebolt »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
trying to program smart strings
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, »
Brian, come over and we'll get it figured out
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, »
The SSC PIC(s) were not programmed ... but they are now ... I bet your home testing them out right now !!

I hope its a successful test.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, »
It's the little things that can cause the most problems. It was the lack of pic programming. Thanks for your help. Ran two controllers and the associated lights after the show shut down this evening. Now to find time to hang the two window frames.

To the powers that be, I would suggest putting a reminder in the manual to program the pic. If it is in there, I missed it several times while trying to figure things out.

Thanks again!

Brian

The SSC PIC(s) were not programmed ... but they are now ... I bet your home testing them out right now !!

I hope its a successful test.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, by FireMedic4Christ »