Author Topic: Wireless to Wired?  (Read 4439 times)

Offline joatman66

Wireless to Wired?
« on: December 19, 2011, »
Seems like this won't work, but can I go wireless from dongle, then pickup wired at one of the LE's outside?  I have 3 SSR 4s that are not wireless yet I like to include I'm my show.

Only other options I have are to run wired to closest LE then daisy chain to SSRs or use a DMX splitter between dongle and wireless?

Any other ways to do it?

Aaron

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline inzeos

Re: Wireless to Wired?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, »
Works fine.  That is what I'm doing right now as I don't see a reason to run wireless between some controllers that are literally right next to each other in my megatree.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, »
FYI, only one of the DMX out works (the one on the far left) when wireless is enabled.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Wireless to Wired?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, »
Agreed it works great though. This is my 2nd or 3rd year running wireless to wired.

Ron

Offline inzeos

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
FYI, only one of the DMX out works (the one on the far left) when wireless is enabled.

I think you are mistaken in this statement.  Maybe you have a board that was built incorrectly?

I'm not using the left DMX OUT 2 in my wireless configuration.  I am using the DMX OUT (1, middle) and having no issues.

Leif

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, »
Are you sure Leif?

The DMX 1 out port should be disabled if you have wireless enabled on the LE.  You are basically bypassing the 485 chip for the DMX 1 in that configuration and using the 485 on the wireless RX.  In fact on the V3 and V4 LE boards you had to remove the 485 chip to make wireless work, there wasn't a jumper.

Ron

Offline inzeos

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, »
Would have to run outside to double check and the wife is not home to watch the baby.  I'll try and check later.

Offline joatman66

Wireless to Wired?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, »
I'm going to give it a try myself. I assumed that since the jumper bypassed the 485 that both DMX outs would be dead.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Wireless to Wired?
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, »
The DMX 2 out has its own 485 chip just to the left of it. DMX 2 is a regenerated DMX stream, not just a pass through.

Ron

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, »
I'm going to give it a try myself. I assumed that since the jumper bypassed the 485 that both DMX outs would be dead.

No one of the DMX out is still enabled not sure which one for get which one I have to look.  Got me the first year I was doing this because I though my Express was bad because I had plunged into the disabled port.   I have a couple wireless Express in the yard connect to another Express's and two Aethers and it works perfectly.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, »
Ok, now I know why I had to hook up the cat 5 cable to the DMX out on the left. I'm sure its posted somewhere, Thanks.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, »
ugh, I going to lose a lot of pennies today :)

another of my 2 cents

Dmx out 1 is not disabled it just has nothing on it since wireless bypasses the dmx in (dmx in and dmx out 1 are connected together). DMX out 2 works because RJ added it as a one port splitter from the pic which gets the dmx info from the wireless board and sends it to the extra rs-485 chip and out to dmx out 2 so you can daisy chain non-wireless controllers etc. The wireless jumper was added like previous stated that now you don't have to remove the rs-485 chip for wireless to work

but hey what do I know and I am always wrong just ask the other members.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline inzeos

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, »
So looks like I was using DMX 2 OUT.  Was not intentional when I did it, glad I did it correctly, LOL.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, »

another of my 2 cents

Dmx out 1 is not disabled it just has nothing on it since wireless bypasses the dmx in (dmx in and dmx out 1 are connected together). DMX out 2 works because RJ added it as a one port splitter from the pic which gets the dmx info from the wireless board and sends it to the extra rs-485 chip and out to dmx out 2 so you can daisy chain non-wireless controllers etc. The wireless jumper was added like previous stated that now you don't have to remove the rs-485 chip for wireless to work

Rick R.

OK, so get all technical on us....

Ron

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, »

another of my 2 cents

Rick R.

OK, so get all technical on us....

Ron

my bad

I met to say. The thingy bop next to the non shiny square will pass or not pass info

Then again in a pinch you could use the dmx out 1 as input if the input connector goes bad in the middle of your show. But I didn't say that

just another half cent of info

Rick (losing money) R.

;D (I sure hope this cold goes away soon and I can get off of this medicine)
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required