Author Topic: DMX LED behavior  (Read 1430 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
DMX LED behavior
« on: August 29, 2011, »
I've got a bunch of LE(s) built.  Some have the DMX light on all the time, even when no DMX is plugged in ... while others have the DMX light come on, but then it goes off.

I guess I"m wondering why some have the DMX LED on, while others do not.  I would make sense that it not be on unless I have it atteched a dongle first.

I'm just powering them up, with nothing connected.

What is the proper behavior for the EXpress DMX LED ? 

Would having a wireless Ex/RX attached affect that LED behavior at all?
Because some of mine have the Ex/Rx attached, while some do not.

Also, I've got the blue jumpers on both the Terminate and Wireless 2 pin terminals.

I know I probably should just connect them and do a better test with DMX attached, but I don't have
output cords attached yet, so I was just doing the power up Express Test.  All seems to test out ok otherwise, but the
DMX light behavior is one way or the other ... so was wondering which is correct?

Thx in advance
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: DMX LED behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, »
Here is one of a number of threads on that topic.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Swap the 485 chips on the boards that are not off when not hooked up to see if this resolves it. It seems to be just certain chips that do it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, »

Also, if I remember correctly, If you have the wireless daughter board connected it will turn the DMX light on.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, »
Thanks all !!

So I did try swapping the rs485 chips ... and it didn't make any difference on one board, but did fix the other.

Having the wireless ex/rx attached doesn't seem to matter unless its enabled (jumper removed) .... and then it was turning off the dmx on led ...
and as soon as I put the wireless jumper back on ... the dmx led would light up again.  So it actually seems to fix it when wireless is enabled.

So at this point I really only have one or two boards doing it and the DMX LED that lights up is actually dimmer than normal, so you can kind of
tell thats its supposed to be off even thought its on all the time.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, »
Is it possible that swapping the  RS485 chips would still work for the dmx out 2 socket?  I have the same issue where the one RS485 chip turns the dmx light on all the time.  I'll have to test but just wanted to ask in case I should just pitch it and get a new one.

The frustrating part is I have a spare in the house that I ordered from mouser and I can't find it. :)

Not bad.  First issue I have ever had and I have built a lot of controllers.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, »
Me too .. besides a couple flaky LED lights ... my only problem has been a bad DMX OUT1 port on an LE.  My DMX OUT2 works fine, thankfully.  And this was my first year building anything ... did (7) LE(s), (4) Tx/Rx, (5) Ex/Rx, (2) SS Hubs and (13) SSCs ... and some other stuff like splitters and combiners ... and I cannot complain at all!