Author Topic: PICkit 3 programming help  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Night Owl

PICkit 3 programming help
« on: December 27, 2011, »
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.  I just got my PICkit3 in the mail today and was excited to try it out.  I have a 5.0 Express that doesn't work right (Self test runs at about 33% speed, LED 6 always on at 75% intensity, channels 10-12 don't work) and I checked all my soldering joints so I thought it might be problem with the PIC programming.  This was my spare unit, so I just put it aside until I got a PICkit.

After loading the software, finding the standalone programmer on the MicroChip website, and everything good to go, I plugged in my PICkit 3 to my computer using the provided USB cable, plugged it into the Express board (matching the little triangles), and powered up the board.  Waited for the slow display to scroll and had 5V and 3.3V LEDs lit.  Started up the PICkit 3 Programmer software (not the MPLAB software).

The status block on the program says
Communications error. Could not query PTG mode
Found PICkit 3, SN: xxxxxxx
Loaded device file with 679 devices.
Found 1 firmware suite; latest is version 01.38.51

I can't load the .hex file because Import HEX in the File pulldown is greyed out.  I can't select the PIC type because the pulldown box is also greyed out (it says PIC10F200).  I tried using a different USB cable, a different USB port on my computer and even a second computer and it still doesn't work.  I even connected the PICkit 3 to a working Express version 4.0 and I am getting the same result.  Oh, and the two computers I am using are running XP.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Appreciate any help or pointers!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: PICkit 3 programming help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, »
Try the Tools Menu and then click on Download Operating System.

See if that updates the Pickit3

Then retry connecting it to the LE

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, »
I don't know that this has anything to do with your issues, but you do not want the express powered while programming the PIC. The PICkit3 provides its own power.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, »
I don't know that this has anything to do with your issues, but you do not want the express powered while programming the PIC. The PICkit3 provides its own power.

Not really true. If the pickit senses power it will turn off its own power. I notice that with the SSC if the nodes are connected you have to power up the SSC or it won't program properly. Because the pickit is trying to power up the pic along with the nodes and it does not have enough juice.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, »
Wow, not only a quick response, but right on the money!  Did what you recommended and the communication error message went away.  When I selected the PIC, it said that it didn't support the PIC selected and it had to update itself.  Which it did and now everything works.  I was reading the Microchip website and it was recommending that I crack open the case and reprogram the PICKit.  Of course, that requires you to have a second, working PICkit....

Thanks Rick!  Now I can get to soldering the Etherdongle.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, »
Great to hear you got it working

Cheers

Rick R.