Hardware > Lynx (Old Hardware)

Dongle and Lynx are conspiring against me! Solved: dongle faulty.

<< < (2/9) > >>

RJ:
I would look at trying new USB and new cat5 cables. It seems to be a common reason for this.

RJ

tuppet:
I am using the same cable and usb port, only changing which lynx is plugged in and having an issue with only 2 of the lynxes (I think), so I don't know that that would be it. It is new cat5 cable, I have a few though so I'll swap them out and see. THe computer randomly opened up a dialog box today while I was doing something else completely unrelated and told me that the usb is 2.0 and high speed, and that apparently there is a device plugged in to this computer via another port which is not high speed, I should consider upgrading. so now I know that it is definitely high speed USB 2.0, but not which device (the dongle wasn't plugged in at the time) it thinks I should upgrade!

ThaiWay:
^I got one of those usb msgs too!

I really think this a PC issue rather than dongle/lynx but what do I know?

Ok, off to buy new cables now...

John

ThaiWay:
Update:
11:30am... Cat5 cable #2... still get "A device attached to the system..." after 45 seconds

4:00pm... New USB cable... ran for several minutes, then I tried to run a new sequence.  Failure after about 45 seconds

4:30 pm:  Tried new Cat5 cable (#3) and it's been running for 4 hours now with no problem on the very simple 4-ch test sequence.  I'm almost afraid to try a different one.

Ever onward...

John

ThaiWay:
More troubleshooting:

My Lynx/Dongle setup with Cat5 cable #3 ran a simple on/off 4-ch looped sequence ran continuously without error for 21 hours.  I stopped it and created a new 4-ch sequence with fades up/down, sparkle and random.  It ran for about 45 seconds before halting at the "A device attached to the system..." message stopped it.  I rebooted and checked the settings for the USB Serial Port (Com3) bitrate 115200/8/1/None/1 and restarted  Vixen and the sequence.  45 seconds again...

I rebooted after disconnecting the Lynx. Checked settings, restarted Vixen, ran for about 2 minutes and stopped.

Try number four:  sequence ran about 15 minutes before I got the Access to the Port has been denied error.

#5:  Swapped the Dongle PIC with a preprogrammed spare.  Checked the FTDI driver 2.4.6.0... ran for about 15 minutes, then access error.

#6:  rebooted , and set bit rate speed in Device Mgr to 15200.  Everytime I reboot it defaults to 9600.  Noticed after about 20 minutes it had stopped and the Access error.

#7:  has been running for about 30 minutes now with no error.  I'll leave it running while I sleep and report again.

Short of taking my Dongle/Lynx/short section of 4-color LED Rope and the Vixen.exe and FTDI driver to the computer repair shop, I'm out of ideas.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version