Author Topic: Dongle and Lynx are conspiring against me! Solved: dongle faulty.  (Read 23869 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Dongle and Lynx are conspiring against me!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, »
Hi John,

Something to check on.

In Vixen

go to Tools and then Preferences

click on Sequence Execution and make sure that "Reset Controller at end of sequences" is Unchecked.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, »
Thanks Rick...

It was checked.  I unchecked it and restarted Vixen, ran the sequence for Vixen>Dongle>Lynx#1, and it's continuing.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline bittrix

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, »
One thing I noticed - and I am not a Windoes fan - is that the PC makes a sound when I disconnect or connect the USB cable.  At various times when a sequence was running I would hear a similar sound.  There's nothing else running on this PC.  I have no idea why that sound was happening while the sequence played.

improper solder joint on the dongles FTDI board?

improper solder joint on the PC's USB port (you did try a different port?)

If the port is not directly attached to the motherboard (that is, if you're using a USB port on the front panel of your computer), try re-seating the connection to the USB header on your motherboard.

If you're by salt water or in a very high-humidity environment you may have contact issues - some contact cleaner and either a pencil eraser or 1500+ grit wet sandpaper on the USB contacts.  (I'm reaching here...)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, by bittrix »
Taking off is optional. Landing is not.

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, »
Thanks mr b.  I tried the backside port... same issue.  This is a 3-month old Vixen-dedicated PC, and while we do have high humidity here, thanks for reaching...  I've inspected my Dongle with a magnifying glass.

I have verified that the sounds I hear occasionally when a sequence is running are the same sounds (in quick succession) that the PC makes when I unplug and plug in the USB cable.

This afternoon my cables and Dongle>Splitter>Lynx#2>lights ran without a hiccup for an hour on the PC at the computer repair shop.

Tomorrow my CPU goes there with the hardware for further experimentation. I think I've eliminated just about every variable and this is the only other thing I can do.
John

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, »
Man everytime I think you have this fixed it gets you again.

If hear the hot swap sound (noise it makes when plugging in)  Is this when it fails with in a few seconds after that? If so then the computer thinks the dongle has been unplugged.

Can you get you hands on a power usb hub. The kind you hook to the computer and has a wall wart that gives it power? I would suspect if I am correct then plugging this in and using its ports might solve you issue.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, »
If your hearing the exact same sound during sequence sounds like your losing the connection between the computer and the USB cord (Probably the Access error your receiving). Depending on your pc case some of the USB ports are made inefficient  (which crappy parts) and lose it's grip on holding the USB steady. Try taping it tight to the computer so it doesn't move at all or try another port or like RJ mention get an external USB port or of course one of those multimedia ports (the 5.25" bay styles that fit into one of your bay drives) and connect the wires to your motherboard for use.

After spending most of the day yesterday mounting Lynx#2 at the front door and finishing the rope light connections to it and then connecting a new cat5 I made to the Splitter, I fired everything up.  At :45 into the sequence the dreaded "Access" message hit me again.  I spent the next three hours experimenting with another expensive USB cable to the Dongle, switching ports on the Splitter, eliminating the Splitter, trying different turn on steps, adding ferrite chokes to the cabling... all to no avail.

I went back to the #1 expensive USB cable and the Dongle>Lynx#1 ran for two minutes and then the Access error.  Took a break for dinner.

Back from dinner, reboot, check Device Mgr etc, same config as above, start Vixen, start sequence, powered up Lynx#1 at 22:50 and it kept running!  I woke up at 01:50 and it was still on!

One thing I noticed - and I am not a Windoes fan - is that the PC makes a sound when I disconnect or connect the USB cable.  At various times when a sequence was running I would hear a similar sound.  There's nothing else running on this PC.  I have no idea why that sound was happening while the sequence played.

Now, this morning I started Vixen and the sequence, and it's running for 30 mins.  Looks like more experiments in store now to get Lynx #2 up... I think another set of cat5 cables is the next step.  Any other ideas? 

Thanks for your help
John
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, by knguyen916 »

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, »
Yes, RJ... I suspected that the "hot swap" sounds indicated I was losing my connection for a few milliseconds, but the sequence would not quit immediately.  It would run for various lengths of time before the Access denied dialogue.

Thanks Ken for your suggestions.  This is an off-brand PC made in TH.  But I still get the error whether using front or back ports on the case.

I'll report back after today's trip to the repair shop... I'm confident with their help my issue will be resolved.  I believe there is nothing wrong with RJ's beautiful hardware nor with my awesome - albeit novice - soldering skills.  This must be a PC issue.

Thanks guys!

John
John

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, »
Update:

Tuesday couldn't get an appointment at the repair shop so I worked on other show elements.

Wednesday... 6 hours at the repair shop:  "It's a software problem."  Reformatted hard drive, reinstalled XP and drivers, ran sequence at shop for 1/2 hour no problem.  Hooked up everything again at home, and within minutes "Access" denied.  At one point the sequence did run for about 20 minutes before execution stopped.

Today am:  sequence ran for 1 hour 48 minutes before Access error.  Took PC/Dongle/Splitter/Lynx#2 back to shop.  Sequence ran fine for over an hour.  Figures, it wouldn't hiccup while I was there.  I kept telling them my problem was a communication error.  They plugged in a USB mouse and said "but USB works fine!"  Further frustration when I asked the tech what he would do IF the error did occur, and couldn't get a clear answer.  Bought a new PCI USB card.  Tested sequence for a few minutes at the shop with Dongle plugged into new card... no problem.  Came home and set everything up again.

I don't want to jinx myself, but various simple sequences have been running fine now for five hours with no Access errors.

John

[edit to fix days... I don't even know the date anymore!]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, by ThaiWay »
John

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, »
fingers crossed for you!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tuppet

• Tuppet's Lights
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, »
Problem solved: The dongle was obviously faulty, because by buying the Enttec USB Pro everything started working with relatively little effort. No idea what was wrong with the dongle, but we are throwing it out because it only caused headaches.
16000 lights and 240 channels in 2010

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
...and 11 months later?   :o
John