Author Topic: xTester  (Read 2464 times)

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
xTester
« on: December 23, 2011, »
I am working to combine xTester and the RGB Tester, so that xLights has a single testing program.

So far I have:

1) added more selection mode choices to select as many as 3000 channels at a time

2) allowed you to choose which colors to cycle through on the RGB cycle test. Also added choices for all 3 channels on (white), and all 3 channels off (black) - to be included in the cycle. So, for example, you could now cycle through red, green, blue, white, black (or any subset of those).

3) removed the color cycle test (this looked nice but didn't really test anything) and also removed the rgb shimmer test.

I would also like to add the ability to optionally display actual channel names instead of just channel 1,2,3...

Any other tests you would like to see? Or modifications to existing tests? Please post your thoughts in this thread. Thanks,

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: xTester
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, »
I would love to have an RGB single color chase that would be variable by speed.  It would help me in figuring out what would look best to have a chase going along a roof/gutter line pr around an object like a window.  Today I have to sequence something test it go back to sequence it again, test it , etc.  Then if I could copy and paste it into vixen - WOW.  I love the tester that is there today.  It really helps in debugging and setup.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmoore

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, »
I would love to have an RGB single color chase that would be variable by speed.  It would help me in figuring out what would look best to have a chase going along a roof/gutter line pr around an object like a window.  Today I have to sequence something test it go back to sequence it again, test it , etc.  Then if I could copy and paste it into vixen - WOW.  I love the tester that is there today.  It really helps in debugging and setup.

I second Jnealand's request.  Currently to test RGB pixel devices, I use DA_131.  So I do a chase in a range of pixel's I'm working on, say an entire row of CoroStars.  I run through them in white and/or Red, then Green, then Blue to see if they are not only addressed right (such as items with individual DMX controllers) but also so I can see if any given LED is not working.  DA_e131's interface makes this a fairly simple process as it has channel grouping.

The ability to select multiple universes, so you can run an entire display through R/G/B cycles is useful - which it sounds like you've done.

On the non tester side - it would be great if there were a "turn off all channels" at the end of each sequence.

Matt - I just want to thank you for putting out such a great tool.  xLights has been a God send to me this year!

Thanks,
David

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, »
Matt -

I would like to see a maximum intensity setting for the alternating and sequence test.

PK

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, »
Sorry for not following the xTester threads and not fully understanding what xTester does, and does not do.

Up to this point I have assumed that it was a field tester that would allow me to replace a show computer in the yard with a device that can turn on/off channels to test them for problems.

One feature (already addressed??) that I'd also like to see is the ability to do specialized burn-ins.  I'd like to run my lights for a while -- all channels for example -- without the need to reprogram my SSCs with test firmware.  I'd like it to cycle through and rellay run the lights through their paces for a week, all unattended. 

Is this feature set included today?  could it be added?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, »
Hi Matt,

Can a new screen be added to allow easy of use of the tester with a smartphone?

I wrote a quick simple to use program that works fine with the usb pixelnet but It won't work with the etherdongle until I figure out the requirements for E1.31

Basically a channel by channel tester with large buttons to move up or down the channels and a way to select a starting point. Currently with your tester on a smartphone I would have to select a channel, move the dimmer to a value check the item in the yard. then click turn off all channels button. Unselect a channel move to the next channel and repeat the process.  Not fun on a small screen. Of course I am remote logging into my show computer from the smartphone.

Attach is a screen shot of my program.

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, »
Can a new screen be added to allow easy of use of the tester with a smartphone?

or an iPad...

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, »

RGB single color chases are in the testing module of xLights 2012a, released today. Thanks for the suggestion! In the next version, you will be able to export the test pattern to a Vixen or LOR file.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, »
WOW - great timing, My lights are still up so I can play.  I was feeling like a wimp for not taking them down since we are in a cold snap (for Atlanta) and now I'm glad I decided to wait til next weekend when its supposed to warm back up.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, »
Now that I have played with the new version of xtester I have another request.  I would like to be able to save my configuration of lights selected and be able to reload that the next time I do any testing.  With almost 4000 channels it can be a real pain to select just the elements that I am working on.  For example I have been putting all the RGB channels on, but I have to go back and turn off the first 3 channels of every string since I have everything set up for hybrid mode.  If I do not do that the chase and other testing is not realistic.  I could also see a use for having a selection with a all non RGB light selection saved or a gutters only selection etc.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA