Author Topic: xConvertor.exe - finally solved my problems with channels not playing!  (Read 2383 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
xConvertor.exe - aka the xlights File Convertor

AMEN for this hidden gem xlights utility ... I honestly didn't know it existed till tonight ... because I didn't see it in the xlights interface anywhere ...
so only via. reading these forums did I learn about the existence of this hidden utility and then looked for it (and finally found it) under C:\Program Files (x86)\xlights on my Windows7 machine.

I believe my problems (on certain sequences) were related to its LARGE file size or just something strange in the sequence that xlights could not process properly.   Specifically, I'm talking about LOR S3 sequences and I was unable to play certain pixelnet channels onto a DMX controller Coro Northstar ... but only on a couple sequences only ... and yes, same config file was used.  I'm not sure what made these sequences unique, unless it was large file size or just some strange mix of metadata that caused xlights to not play correctly.  I noticed that if I ran the sequence standalone ... it would never work correctly the first time.  BUt then if I hit stop of the xlights player and then played it a second time, it would work correctly.  That was strange, but seemed to work in both sequences I had problems with.  If I ran it via. the scheduler, it would never work correctly on these certain display items (i.e. the CoroStar).

In the end, by converting the LOR S3 sequence from an LOR .lms file ... to an xlights .xseq file ... all the problems went away.  In the case of one sequence, it dropped from 32.5 Mb to
10 Mb ... but in the second file it started at 10 Mb and ended at 10 Mb ... but still fixed the problems (but didn't have the same size reduction).

I had previously tried converting the audio to use various bitrates and even a .wav file ... but that never solved the problem of certain display items not showing.  It seemed that all bitrates and formats worked fine (at least for me).

I wanted to post a thread to advertise what has been a huge problem solving utility for me.  I am now under the impression that I should convert all my sequences to .xseq format based on the gains I saw from doing this with my two problem sequences.  I wonder what else may have been fixed or improved?!!

Thanks again!

Scott
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

I may have to test it again. When I tested it, it would make 1 of my pixelnet megatree strings the wrong colors on a sequence I tested with. And the LOR channels were funky. I use LSP to sequence. The LMS works fine.  However after about 1hr 20min the show crashes. This is about 2 1/2 times through the playlist.

Offline rm357

It is also available inside the xlights main application (bottom button).

My unplayable 300MB lms file dropped to 9MB and looks awesome - video is in work...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Thanks for this tip.

I will try it as 2 of my LMS files that are very large and intensive.

Also will be testing E1.31 wireless (EtherDongle) using 2 Universes and also wireless (Bluetooth) audio to the transmitter.

One step at a time will be tested.

If this works it will make me very very happy. <;d
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I have found that it makes some sequences LARGER, not sure if the run any better

But I know that my two biggest sequences both run far better in xlights format ... and
the problematic display items started working.

It'll be interesting if any issues with smart string items are seen.

Maybe I have a newer version of xlights now, but now the GUI has this utility as
the bottom button:  FILE CONVERSION
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
the 'e' version has worked like a gem for me.  the coversion was perfect and it ran much better, faster, and more reliably.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I even found some errors in that a couple of my sequences were pointing to an older profile that I did not realize.  Profile changes were minor so nothing was affected, but now all is uniform.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

Still a no go for me. Still too many mistakes in the conversions that look normal in lms format. Probably something about Original LOR to LSP to LMS to xlights format.

Offline mmais68569

When you converted from LOR to xlights version, did you have to put the sequence back in the xlights folder or did it auto save there. I am having a few minor issues & was going to convert 1 song for my final night & see if that corrected the problem.

Mike

Offline rm357

It puts it in the same directory as the original file with a .xseq extension.
You need to check the box in the scheduler to see that format.

Rm
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Right, it puts its in the same place the original .lms file was ... so in my case, I was in a different directory and the convertor created the .xseq file in that same folder location.  I then manually moved it into my xlights folder later.

Currently, I'm seeing lag in certain SS items (namely the nodes only) and that lag seems to go away or be dramatically reduced when running in xlights vs. LOR format.

I've seen no issues with color changes in the converted versions ... but suspect thats because I'm going just from LOR .lms to xlights and no LSP stuff in between.

I'm really looking forward to the etherdongle perhaps performing even better than a pixelnet dongle in the future?

Offline sielbear

I could NOT play back my show this year as I wanted without the help of xLights and the xseq format.  When I took my LSP files and exported to LMS format, I had files between 700 mb and 900 mb in size!  I had to pull ALL my node control and export the much smaller sequences to LOR at 100 mb in size.  Then the new xseq format was created, and 99% of my issues disappeared.  My huge files shrunk to 35 - 50 mb with pixel control.  LOVE xLights!!

I do still have a couple of little things going on at two points in my show, but I'm satisfied with the results for this year.  I'll be working and troubleshooting through 2012...  As it stands, xLights will be the playback engine for me!  It's simple, it does 1 thing, and it does 1 thing REALLY well (play back a show without fail)!