Author Topic: How it works?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline soakes94

How it works?
« on: December 25, 2011, »
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help explain to me how the Aether works, I know it takes the 12VAC converts it to DC and then a pic converts the DMX signal into electrical signals but the bit I'm confused with is the controlling of the LED. Ive only ever worked with 5mm leds so I use resistors but how does it work with high power leds? I want to build different light fittings using high power leds but I have no idea how to power the led.

Thanks
Stephen

Merry Christmas

Offline caretaker

Re: How it works?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, »
Stephen,  most high power LED's requires a constant current driver circuit to run the LED (in the case of the Aether X4) There are other consideration that have to be take into consideration including thermal control (those high power LED's put of a lot of heat that needs to be transfered away from the LED) and other considerations.  I for one am very glad the AJ has the talent to design such a wonderful product like the aether so I have more time to plan my show instead of getting a degree in electronics.  <wd..
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, »
It just has simple constant current circuits with the pic turning then on and off very fast to make it dim the leds.

The trick is getting the heat out while making it weather resistant and keeping the cost down. When you get to these kinds of power levels the cost can go way up if you your not careful.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline soakes94

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, »
So am I right in thinking that the 2ohm resistor sets the output voltage of Voltage Regulator (LM2941)? And the LED just takes the current it requires? Or does the 2ohm resistor set the output current of the Voltage Regulator (LM2941).