Author Topic: EtherDongle up and running!!  (Read 1876 times)

Offline pk

• Patron Member
EtherDongle up and running!!
« on: December 27, 2011, »
I assembled my EtherDongle, programmed the PIC, and powered it up and there was no smoke - always a good sign.  The +3.3 and +5 supply voltages were good.

I added the EtherDongle output plug-in to the appropriate folder in Vixen and modified a sequence to use the EtherDongle.  The EtherDongle is connected to a port on a switch on my home network.  I connected the Pixelnet/DMX port to my TX/RX.  With fingers crossed, I clicked on play, and looked out the window to see blinky flashy!!!  Woo hoo.

Then I wanted to try the EtherDongle with xLights which is on my show computer located downstairs. So.... I configured xLights for E.1.31 operation.   I fired up my playlist and it worked!!!   The neat thing about this is the EtherDongle and TX/RX were still in my office upstairs and the show computer is downstairs!!  And... to top it off, the show computer is connected to my network using a set of those adapters that send ethernet over the ac wiring in the house!!!  I am amazed it is all working!!  There could be some problems but it is hard to tell in the daylight.

I do not have smartstrings this year so the EtherDongle is programmed with the DMX firmware.  I have found a DLA member here in Denver to check out the EtherDongle using Pixelnet firmware.

I will run my show with the EtherDongle tonight and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if the EtherDongle with DMX firmware supports more than 1 DMX universe? 

RJ - Thank you for sharing your design of this impressive hardware.  Assembly was a breeze!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: EtherDongle up and running!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, »
Yes the EtherDongle supports 4 universes

In your case 4 DMX or 2048 channels (512 * 4)

To use all four you will need to either use the combiner (in reverse mode) or make a custom cat5 cable that splits out the 4 pairs of wires and then connect whatever universe you need.

btw: My show is running tonight with no problems using the EtD. I just change xLights to use it instead of the usb dongle. So Cool

Cheers and congrats

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, »
UPDATE:  My show is running fine with the EtherDongle.

Thanks for the 4 Univ info Rick.  I thought I read that somewhere once upon a time. Yes it was easy to change xLights to use the etherdongle.  It is nice.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, »
Way to go pk!
I am going to put my etherDongle together this week. Can it run off of a stand alone system that is not connected to a network?
My show computer is not connected to the internet or our home network.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, »
Way to go pk!
I am going to put my etherDongle together this week. Can it run off of a stand alone system that is not connected to a network?
My show computer is not connected to the internet or our home network.

John

Sure a cat5 cable from the ethernet port on the computer right into the EtherDongle

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, »
Thanks Rick.
I will try to figure it out tomorrow.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, »
Rick beat me to the answer.  :o

I now have the EtherDongle directly connected to an Ethernet port on my show computer and it works fine.