Author Topic: Etherdongle and POE  (Read 1855 times)

Offline kenjreno

• Rail City
Etherdongle and POE
« on: December 27, 2011, »
I'm curious of the Ethernet Dongle supports IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet, or is the power draw from this too much for that?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Etherdongle and POE
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, »
No it does not.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, »
Curious about the ETD power draw...  if a converter was fashioned to separate out the power from POE, and apply it to the dongle... would that power be sufficient? 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Curious about the ETD power draw...  if a converter was fashioned to separate out the power from POE, and apply it to the dongle... would that power be sufficient?

It really is a moot point since RJ has already say NO, but also consider that daughter boards will also require more current

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, »
I have several injector devices that have come with wireless AP points, cisco phones etc.  They are a rect block with a eth in, power in from a wall wart (like that came with the ETD) and a eth out.  should be able to use one of those on the ETD end but just in reverse, instead of the power in, it would be power out to the ETD.  Just need to make sure your polarity is correct.  Depending on the wall warts barrel connector, you should be able to use it to inject the power on the source end if the connectors are the correct size.

I am thinking of something like this as well when the conductor/slave are finally avail.  Depending on draw etc, am hoping to power the ETD and a wireless bridge this way via single eth cable vs eth cable, power cable for ETD and power cable for wireless bridge.

Myk
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, by mykroft »

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, »
???

I'm thinking EtD and bridge in the battery box with the hub, so ac power should be readily available.

If you are hardwiring the EtD to your network hub, why not keep it next to the network hub. The pixel net wire is good for 100s of feet to the first pixel net hub...

I have thought about removing the 7805 and powering the EtD directly from the PC power supply's 5v output, but for all that trouble, it's easier just to use the wall wart.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA