Author Topic: Ether Dongle Question  (Read 4461 times)

Offline mmais68569

Ether Dongle Question
« on: December 29, 2011, »
I am currently using the standard Lynx Dongle & is working great for my show. I will be adding about another 100-120CH for next year which will get me up to around 230Ch. I do not think I will EVER get to or over the 512ch count.
Question:
I was going to build a second Dongle next year as a back up or to use in the shop while the show is running. Would a Lynx Dongle be the correct one or upgrade to the Either Dongle?

I sequence with LOR ( which as far as I know to date does not support the Ether) but run with xLights.

Thanks for the help
        Mike

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Ether Dongle Question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, »
A backup is always good.  If you don't see yourself getting into RGB and therefore big channel counts I would go with the current lynx dongle.  I have 3.  I also have an etherdongle because I want to get prepared for the conductor, but if you have no need in the foreseeable future I would be tempted to wait.  There always seems to be a ver 2 on the horizon even though we don't know it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, »
I have read that the conductor needs the Ether Dongle to work but will the two combined still run a low ch. standard DMX display. I like the idea of the conductor to run the show.

Mike

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have read that the conductor needs the Ether Dongle to work but will the two combined still run a low ch. standard DMX display. I like the idea of the conductor to run the show.

The Etherdongle can be programmed with a firmware that only puts out 4 universerses of DMX, so you could run a show up to 2048 channels. It outputs each universe on a different pair on the cat5, so you would have to split that off to use the different universes. You can do that with a Lynx Combiner, just used in reverse, the pixelnet out would be your DMX in from the Etherdongle, and each one marked "Dongle IN" would go out to your different controllers.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, »
Ran my show with the ETD and DMX firmware this year.  Was the easiest year ever.  No issues at all.

Ron

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, »
For the small increase in cost, it makes little sense to build another Lynks dongle.  You would be much better going with the Etherdongle.  Channel count has little to do with it.  With the EtherDongle you can tie it into your network allowing you to control the show wirelessly if you have a wireless network capability which in my opinion, is pretty cool.  There is also a new add-on card on the way called the Conductor which will allow you to run your show without a computer at all.  Any way you spin it, the Ehterdongle far outweighs the capabilities of the standard dongle and for the small cost increase, the decision is really a no-brainer.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rimist

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, »
How much is that small increase in cost?
- Rimist

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, »
Somewhere around $20.00 but at even twice the cost it is still more than worth it. 

Offline rimist

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, »
I'm was just wondering how much to budget for the two I just committed myself to buying :)

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, »
I'm was just wondering how much to budget for the two I just committed myself to buying :)

-Rimist

Figure $100 each but if the coop gets a larger quantity ordered the price will go down

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, »
I committed to two of them as well and have no clue what it does. I think the name Ether dongle sounds really cool so I want 2 of them.
I have a year to figure it all out.
I am a visionary if you think about it...  <fp.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, »

-Rimist

Figure $100 each but if the coop gets a larger quantity ordered the price will go down

Rick R.

I am pretty sure that there will be a plenty large quantity to keep that price down.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, »
there's no commitment to buy an etherdongle right now, RJ's just checking to see how big of an interest there is.  It's like asking who wants pizza, before deciding whats for dinner.

mouser parts for the dongle are around $45-46.
you still have to get the case, and the pcb

i got one etherdongle in the last coop, and i think i paid under $100
so in that example, it was about twice the price of an etherdongle, but i get more options of what i can do.

The EtherDongle can output:
4 dmx unis (with DMX firmware)
4 pixelnet unis (with Pixelnet firmware)
technically, if you use the pixelnet firmware, and using 32 Active Hubs, you can get it to output 32 unis of DMX, but that is extreme)

PLUS, the EtherDongle have the ability to add "daughter boards" into the case to add on features.
you'll see people talking about the posibility of a conductor, and it would be nice to run a show without the need of a computer
last night, i saw on my porch with a laptop connected via wireless, and edited the show in vixen to see what the megatree was doing, i can't do that easily with a usb attached dongle!
also, this may be different for other people, but vixen seems to just flow more easily with the ED, than with the USB Dongle.

each person has their own needs, but if i had this as an opotion a year ago when i joined, i would have jumped straight into the ED then.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rimist

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, »
I realize it wasn't technically a commitment, however, to me it was. I missed the last co-op because I joined a few days too late. I needed to know for budgeting purposes.

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, »
$97 is what i paid for my EtherDongle in the coop.

there were 156 EtherDongles in the Coop.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!