Author Topic: 2005-2006 dollar tree extension cords  (Read 1183 times)

Offline shaunkad

2005-2006 dollar tree extension cords
« on: December 29, 2011, »
I saw this on PC and thought I should share.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, by shaunkad »

Offline rrawlings

Re: dollar tree extension cords
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, »
I was worried when I saw this.  I just bought this year a boatload of these to use with LE's.  Then I read the dates, this was from '06.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, »
This thread should be deleted.  It is only for products sold in 2005 and 2006.  Like rrawlings, I went to check my recent cord purchase and then read the flyer more carefully.  They were being recalled for a fake UL tag.  Interestingly, the brand new ones have NO UL tag and are made by the same company.  What does that tell you?  I think I may return these anyway.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, »
I have dealt with UL for the past 10 years.  I don't hold a lot of faith in a product based on that tag.  Yes they do provide a service to a manufacturer to set the public at ease but at the same time a lot of what they do is for their own self benefit.  We have repeatedly been dinged by them for those years until we dropped their certification from our product for things that had no bearing on the safety or quality of our product.  As an organization they are trying only to make changes to standards every so many years so that they can force manufacturers into doing additional testing to prove once again that they still comply.  I wish I had just a percentage of what they have cost our small company over the past 10 years.  We have moved all of our certifications to CSA and ETL.

The cords I bought were not undersize wire and the receptacle end of the ones I have are what appear to be good quality.  I intend to take them to work and load test them in the lab and use the IR temp cameras to look at the cords and see how they really do.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, »
if you modify the cable in any way, you void the UL rating anyways
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline meman

Re: 2005-2006 dollar tree extension cords
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, »
My 2 cents is to stay away from the crappy extension cords sold by WalMart and Dollar [tree,store,etc,etc]. You will notice that the female outlet end is made of a cheap hard plastic that can easily crack and/or fill up with water. Fork out the extra $.25 for cords from Lowes or Home Depot with the hard rubber ends. They have cases of them left over from Christmas...I just bought a bunch more for $1.49 each. And that hard rubber holds ink from a sharpie very nicely for numbering.