Author Topic: This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!  (Read 4598 times)

Offline mmorlan62

RJ,

My first, big tinkertronics project is a miniature moving light.  I've been cobbling together an Arduino / Pololu Maestro / shiftbar setup with various code bits from which I'll build my own firmware.  But, damn!

In one PCB, you deliver DMX, servos, and LED!  I'm simply stunned.  Add wireless and I'm beyond happy.

Thank you!

Michael

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ,

My first, big tinkertronics project is a miniature moving light.  I've been cobbling together an Arduino / Pololu Maestro / shiftbar setup with various code bits from which I'll build my own firmware.  But, damn!

In one PCB, you deliver DMX, servos, and LED!  I'm simply stunned.  Add wireless and I'm beyond happy.

Thank you!

Michael
I dont think this one was RJ's design. This time around I think it was Dave Hoppe.

-Paul
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline rm357

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, »
Wireless DMX - we got that too... Although it would be a separate box. Check out the TX/RX on the wiki.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, »
Yes I am not the only one creating stuff at DLA and I am happy to see these becoming avaliable. I got one coming myself.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, »
Actually, this controller supports RJ's Ex/Rx wireless receiver. No need for a separate box. Simply plug in the Ex/Rx and set a jumper and you're wireless.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline mmorlan62

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, »
Dave,

This board is spot on.  Thanks.  A couple questions for you:

o What is the frequency at which you are pulsing the servos and LED's.  Is it adjustable?

o From whom do I order a PCB?

Has anyone in this community played with freestylerdmx?  It seems the perfect match with this board since you can create a custom intelligent instrument profile and control it intuitively.

Thanks,

M
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by mmorlan62 »

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, »
All 8 servo channels are controlled within a single overlapping 24ms frame (41.66 times per second refresh rate each). Each channel takes 3ms of that overall frame for it's PWM. Here's a small snippet from some code comments to illustrate. Although I probably could have shortened the overall frame to something less than 24ms, I decided to leave the extra breathing room because I'm using nested interrupt timers and want to make sure there's never any overruns. An additional reason for using a wider frame length (24ms) is to allow for over-driving the servo travel ranges for those that need some additional range and can't get it via mechanical linkage. So the 3ms "slice" for each channel gives me more room to widen the pulse width for those longer ranges. The configuration tool handles the setup needed to take advantage of that. See the wiki for more details.

; Each of these slots represents a 3ms subframe (X = pulse)
; A total of 8 slots makes a full 24ms frame per channel
; CH1: |X| | | | | | | |   
; CH2: | |X| | | | | | |   
; CH3: | | |X| | | | | |
; CH4: | | | |X| | | | |  pulse width (less than 3ms) resides in one 3ms sub-frame
; CH5: | | | | |X| | | |  pin low the rest of the time
; CH6: | | | | | |X| | |
; CH7: | | | | | | |X| |
; CH8: | | | | | | | |X|

The LED output frequency has quite a bit quicker refresh rate. However, it takes a back seat to DMX reception and servo PWM. So it may not be as rigid from a clocking standpoint. It certainly does not lag or show any timing issues.

Neither of these PWM frame frequencies are adjustable in the current firmware. I don't believe there's really a need for it. You would have to have an ultra-quick servo to even come close to detecting lag in my opinion. You'll be much more bound by servo electronics than the PWM frame rates from the controller.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by dlhoppe »

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, »
The coop just closed, but I'm guessing there will be a few available extra PCBs you can get once Mike sorts and starts delivering. Coops typically will get a handful of extra boards. Keep checking the coop thread for availability.

If there are no extra boards from the coop and no one wants to part with an extra one, I have a few prototypes I can help you out with. However, I'd much rather everyone use the latest released version.

I'm also pretty sure there will be another coop for these before too long.  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by dlhoppe »

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, »
Dave,

I have been working with VSA and the SSC32 servo controllers for my skeletons at Halloween and am looking for a way to incorporate all functions in one application.  Question is do you have a means of triggering a relay from this board or do I have to go with a separate board to make this happen?  Situation is that I have dualing cannons with skeletons that talk and move their heads.  I want to be able to control the LED within the cannon as well as the sound and smoke all from the same board.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Monroe, GA
- Mark

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, »
Mark,

There's no specific "relay" output. However, I'm guessing you could always drive some micro-switches with servos to get the same behavior. That's just a thought off the top of my head. Maybe others will have some better ideas for you.

Dave

Offline n1ist

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, »
Just wire an optoisolator to one of the LED outputs and use it to drive a relay or transistor if you need more current.
/mike

Offline jess_her

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, »
So Mike
what do you think about this optoisolator board with two input/outputs . You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Outputs are 40V/600ma max. then drive a small Bosch type relay or  tip122/2n3055 in a darlington setup. Not sure what the control current of the relay is but it should be close if not use a tip122 to drive it.   Maybe??
Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just wire an optoisolator to one of the LED outputs and use it to drive a relay or transistor if you need more current.
/mike

Just looking to create a short to trigger the smoke machine and sound generator.  Will the Opto do that for me?  Sorry to be a dunce.

Does the MR16 just output 12 vDC?  This too could drive small form C relays to do the same correct?

Thanks for your help
- Mark