Author Topic: No Lights from Ethernet Input  (Read 5933 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: No Lights from Ethernet Input
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you join us in TeamSpeak?

Rick R.

Sure. I am at work now, so it would have to be tonight. just tell me when you have time.

Thanks,
Roger

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, »
I have one of my EtDs online. Not sure what to do with the second at this time! Any more ideas?

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, »
Hm, so in summary, the green LED is on, but the LEDs on the MagJack do not light when you connect it to your computer's ethernet port, correct?  PIC programs correctly and verifies?  Maybe there is something wrong with the MagJack?  Were you able to get on TeamSpeak? 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, »
I have one of my EtDs online. Not sure what to do with the second at this time! Any more ideas?

Hang tight I am working on some diagnostic instructions. Make sure to look the stuff over again and if you have not already turn you iron up some and hit all joints again. You would be surprised how many time after going through a lot of diagnostics this is what ends up fixing the issue.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, »
Hm, so in summary, the green LED is on, but the LEDs on the MagJack do not light when you connect it to your computer's ethernet port, correct?  PIC programs correctly and verifies?  Maybe there is something wrong with the MagJack?  Were you able to get on TeamSpeak?

No I was not able to get on Teamspeak. As usual I was late.

To answer your questions yes the installed LED is on green and no lights at all on the ethernet port.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, »

Hang tight I am working on some diagnostic instructions. Make sure to look the stuff over again and if you have not already turn you iron up some and hit all joints again. You would be surprised how many time after going through a lot of diagnostics this is what ends up fixing the issue.

RJ

Thanks RJ. Yes I have retouched all solder joints at 700 degrees f. I could do it again, but you know the definition of insanity!! ;) This is really not a big deal since I have the first one up and running for testing. I cannot use both at this time anyway, but I would like to get it going.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, »
Update: I have retouched up all solder joints, reflashed for Pixelnet and verified. Still no Ethernet lights. They do blink one time very briefly when power is applied!

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, »
I think at this point we need to wait for RJ's diag instructions.  You do have one working, so it's unlikely you assembled incorrectly.  After you reflowed all the joints it doesn't sound like a cold joint.  And you said you verified the programming of the PIC so that doesn't sound like it is that either.  Did you try and program it as a DMX dongle instead of Pixelnet?  I can't see how that would make a difference, but I've hit my knowledge wall at this point.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, »
Did you try and program it as a DMX dongle instead of Pixelnet?

Yes I did and it had no affect. I have no problem waiting for RJ.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, »
This may or may not be the problem.  From your photos I noticed that you don't have a solder point on one of your RJ45 connectors.  I will have to look at the wiki photos of the PCB to make sure it's not connected to anything, but that stood out at me. 

.......Hmmm... Looked at the PCB pic in the manual and it doesn't look like this is connected to anything sorry if I got your hopes up......
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, »
This may or may not be the problem.  From your photos I noticed that you don't have a solder point on one of your RJ45 connectors.  I will have to look at the wiki photos of the PCB to make sure it's not connected to anything, but that stood out at me. 

.......Hmmm... Looked at the PCB pic in the manual and it doesn't look like this is connected to anything sorry if I got your hopes up......

No Problem. Thanks for the reply.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, »

Yep, when I wrote the assembly manual, I made a note in there that you will end up with one hole without a pin so that people don't panic when they see that.

-Mike

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, »
Yahooooo! I've got EtD! Make that 2 EtDs! Now if I can just get the firmware for multiple EtDs!!  :D ;) >:D My second dongle also had a solder bridge. Removed bridge and all is good! Now onto programing for a lot of channels!! <fp.

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, »
Yay!  ;D  I guess number one trouble shooting step should be: look for solder bridges on the surface mount chips.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, »
We hope the next batch that won't be needed. I ahd already went throught them and found some before they went out so these few were ones I missed.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying