Author Topic: dmx output pinout  (Read 2595 times)

Offline golights

dmx output pinout
« on: January 01, 2012, »
Anybody know what the pin out is for the 4 dmx universes on the rj45 when it is flashed for dmx.  Is it set up as a standard rj45? 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: dmx output pinout
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, »
The Etherdongle uses all 4 pairs

I believe

pins 1&2 universe 1
pins 3&4 universe 2
pins 5&6 universe 3
pins 7&8 universe 4

doesn't matter if firmware is pixelnet or dmx for universe pairing

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline golights

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, »
Thanks rrowan, do you know if the odd numbered pin is + or -.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, »
1 is +
2 is -

odds are +
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, »
The full specs are in the wiki SmartString/Pixelnet library You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Page 6 of the Pixelnet Spec doc talks about it

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, »
I'm not sure those pairs are right.

Standard Ethernet pairs are 1-2, 3-6, 5-4, and 7-8.
Note pair three is reverse order - 1, 3, 5, & 7 are +.

This also appears to be the way the splitter is wired - checked with my ohmmeter.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, »
I'm not sure those pairs are right.

Standard Ethernet pairs are 1-2, 3-6, 5-4, and 7-8.
Note pair three is reverse order - 1, 3, 5, & 7 are +.

This also appears to be the way the splitter is wired - checked with my ohmmeter.

RM

While I don't have one to check, I'm certain this is correct. If a high frequency signal was put on pins 3&4 or 5&6, it would fail because those are not actual twisted pairs for noise rejection.

Offline golights

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, »
From reading the spec. it would seem that the wiring would be as a standard rj45 connector 1-2, 3-6,5-4,7-8  but the picture makes it seem as 1-2, 3-4,5-6,7-8.  I will get a meter out and check.     Thanks all

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, »
I think the picture was drawn wrong. The reason for my bad info, its been a while since that came out and I forgot about that error.
It does use the standard layout and not 1-8

sorry

Rick R.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, »
im just gonna let the active hub figure it out for me  : )
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, »
I am looking at a combiner here, and port 1 is taking pins 1/2 to pins 1/2 of the output, port 2 looks like it is taking pins 1/2 of that port to pins 3/4 of the output etc

The RJ45 output I dont think is wired like standard ethernet output, as each twisted pair is a universe and not split up.....?
Myk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by mykroft »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, »
it's not that complicated...

pixelnet, and DMX are NOT Ethernet, they don't use ethernet cables, they don't use networking switches...

they use RJ45 connected cables... 
Ethernet requires each data pair to be on a physical pair to get the speed out of the cable...

the RJ45 connector...
1&2   uni1
3&4   uni2
5&6   uni3
7&8   uni4

you can make your cables any way you want as long at the ends match.
Ethernet is high speed and is limited to 328ft (~ a couple feet)  <---   has NOTHING to do with pixelnet / DMX  so don't try to place ethernet requirements onto something that isn't Ethernet

RJ mentioned that the pixelnet, and or DMX data can travel at least 1000ft. (pixelnet in this case is the connection dongle to hub, or hub to hub, not from hub to ssc)
EDIT: i made an exception for hub to ssc, b/c the distance would most like create a voltage drop, where at least a full string would not light up

old slow ethernet cables work with dmx / pixelnet, (you know the ones where the orange or green pair isn't split)

so, don't worry about the cable except that the pins match (don't use a crossover) and worry about the RJ45 connector physical pins odd,even
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by chrisatpsu »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, »
Pixelnet was designed to use off-the-shelf cat-5 cables.  For historical reasons, the twisted pairs in cat5  (or cat6) are connected to pins 1 and 2, 3 and 6, 4 and 5, 7 and 8.

As Pixelnet (and DMX) both use RS485 as the underlying signalling scheme, you need to have both lines of a universe on one twisted pair to have the proper impedance and prevent interference from one to the other.

To avoid headaches and marginal performance, please use the correct pinout.  It's just like using mic cables for DMX - it will work until you really depend on it and then flake out mid-show...
/mike

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, »
Then you would need a 10.base t cable, which is not 568a or b.

Dmx and pixelnet are slow speeds in comparison to fast Ethernet. The twists in the cable are not as important.

And that's my point, if this stuff can run on xlr based dmx cables, then obviously we don't have to worry about high performance Ethernet cables.

Ethernet is designed the way it is so that we can get really fast speeds out of a piece of copper (or aluminum) which doesn't matter for this stuff.  There might be twists in a xlr based dmx cable, but it still wouldnt be anywhere near an Ethernet cable.   I can use cat 3 wire and make a good dmx cable. Because its slow speeds.