Author Topic: Control  (Read 2615 times)

Offline ratroder

Control
« on: January 02, 2012, »
What control interface might one use to control that controller? I am interested in using this but was wondering what I would use to control the Interface. 

Offline caretaker

Re: Control
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, »
Well you can use Vixen or Light show Pro or Visual Show Animation to control it, sense it uses standard DMX signals to control the servos (and light channels) as long as can generate a proper DMX stream you should be able to use this board. Of course I will let's it creators correct me if I have given erroneous information.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, »
I have only tested with Vixen and the Lynx dongle, so I can't speak for the other brands of control software. It also works very well with the Bobcat DMX tester.  I believe caretaker is correct. If your hardware puts out standard DMX512, then you should be good to go.

Offline ratroder

Control
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, »
Ok. I was thinking of implementing lsp this year. I wonder if the Etherdongle will work with a passive hub. Does anyone know if lor works?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, »
Ok. I was thinking of implementing lsp this year. I wonder if the Etherdongle will work with a passive hub. Does anyone know if lor works?
Two pertinant threads:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline ratroder

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, »
Yea I have a hub and ss controllers and a hub. I was just wondering if the etherdongle outputs the correct protocol to run the controller.

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, »
If you decide to use Vixen for your animation ctmal at DIYC wrote a Vixen Add-In and came up with some techniques to help animate 3-axis skulls which might come in handy with any project that involves head and mouth movement.
See these links
Skull Sequencer AddIn

Luceat lux vestra

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, »
Does anyone know if lor works?

LOR controllers can be switched to DMX protocol with a jumper.

alternatively...

Some software packages will allow you to run LOR protocols and DMX protocols in the same show -- using separate networks/dongles.

Yea I have a hub and ss controllers and a hub. I was just wondering if the etherdongle outputs the correct protocol to run the controller.
EtherDongle running pixelnet will not talk DMX protocol... but it will pass 512 of the channels through a DMX connector.  If LOR controllers are switched to DMX protocol, they too can be controlled through the EtherDongle through that DMX connector and protocol -- but the Pixelnet connections will NOT work with LOR. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rimist

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, »
Does this mean the pixelnet and Dmx ports are physically separate on the EtherDongle?

I take it this also means the Dmx output on the active hub will be useless. I think I'm wrong though... Heading for wiki

-Rimist
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by rimist »
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, »
Does this mean the pixelnet and Dmx ports are physically separate on the EtherDongle?

I take it this also means the Dmx output on the active hub will be useless. I think I'm wrong though... Heading for wiki

-Rimist
Sorry for creating confusion.  It is my assumption that EtherDongle and Active Hubs go hand-in-hand most of the time.  (There has been discussion about passive hubs as an alternative.)  In my comments I have been talking about Active Hub's capability.  When using pixel net to run the SSCs, it ALSO has the DMX connector available for other items.

Offline ratroder

Control
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, »
The Etherdongle runs pixelnet or dmx firmware. If it is pixelnet then dmx can be pulled off of the hub.