Author Topic: express as relay board.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline lightingboy82

express as relay board.
« on: January 03, 2012, »
is it possible to replace the SSRs with mechanical relays for simple on/off devices?  I am sure they wouldn't fit on the board, and i would think a new firmware would be needed? so that once the channel reaches xx% it would give an "on" state. easy as replacing the SSR and firmware, or more involved?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: express as relay board.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, »
Nope

There are DMX relay boards on the internet. Just do a search

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, »
I know they are available, i have seen them,and i bought one from blue point Engineering. but they are pretty expensive, i was hoping to be able to modify the LE.  I know if i get 120v coil relays i can put them on the outputs of the LE as it stands, but i would like a more efficient solution if possible. I think the real key is the firmware, so that it only gives an on/off state to the SSR rather than a dimming curve, perhaps it could be another curve? 0-50% = off 51-100% = on?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, »
There is an on-off dimming curve already.  It is the one for a strobe.  Anything other than 0 is full on.

HIH,
-Keith

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, »
You can use a mr 16 as one.  Just plug the relay contacts in just like a 12 dc light source would have been hooked up.

Offline rm357

express as relay board.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, »
Modifications like you are talking about are generally discouraged. The release of schematics and source code is up to the producer - RJ has chosen not to release his designs, which I can respect because it is his intellectual property.

Be careful about hooking a relay directly to the express. The dimmer circuit used is primarily for resistive loads - the inductive load could cause problems...

The MR16 is a good solution, just be sure to put diodes across the relay so that the turn-off spike won't kill the output MOSFET.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, »
You can get an 8 channel DMX relay pack here for $59.95 + shipping: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bottom Line RJ designs his boards for a specific purpose, if they don't do what you need either design your own board and test and if there is interest RJ may add it to the stable OR see if someone else will design it or see if it available elsewhere.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, »
the best bet is to go with the Express...  with the dimming curve, you can assign 1, 2, or as many of the 16 channels as a on/off with no dimming.
that way later on, if you want to have dimming, then you don't have to worry about getting even more stuff and learning how to hook it up. just reset the dimming curves.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

express as relay board.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, »

You know, we forgot the really important question - What kind of on-off devices are you talking about?

Do you really need relays, or are you just looking for something that is not 120vac?

The MR16 works by making/breaking the ground connection for Direct current loads up to 24 volts. Because it is doing the ground connection, you can have multiple loads using different source voltages as long as you can connect all of the grounds together.

If you are thinking of strobes and other things that run at 120vac but don't like to be dimmed, you can load the on/off light curve into an express.

If you are looking for more current than the express can handle, the maybe you do need to look at other options.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, »
Yea what is he trying to turn on and off. If its motors or a transformer,you can burn up a triac, or mosfet real easy if not careful.