Author Topic: is dmx dmx?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Rogelio

is dmx dmx?
« on: January 04, 2012, »
I hope I'm not asking a stupid question but I'm not clear on this since Im so new to it.  Does the Lynx hardware use a "standard" dmx protocol, or is it proprietary only to lynx???  Can Lynx dongle talk to other dmx  devices and vice-verse?
I have searched for a definite answer but could not find one in the wiki or posts.

I did use quotes around standard because I know in communication protocols, standard is a dirty word. :) 
I really mean a commonly used protocol.
Thanks
Roy

Offline SteveMaris

Re: is dmx dmx?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, »
Yes,
 regular good old fashioned DMX.  8)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, »
thanks Steve.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, »
To add to what Steve said, the Lynx Dongle uses the 1st pair (white/orange, orange) on the Cat5 cable, so you just have to make sure whatever hardware you are using also uses that pair, or you will have to make a cable to move that pair to whatever pair your hardware uses. Like the LOR hardware uses different than that. 

The Etherdongle uses all 4 pairs, so if you use that, again the same would apply, you might need to make a conversion cable. also there is a combiner/splitter that RJ makes that you can use to split the 4 pairs back into using just the white/orange, orange pair.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, by jeffcoast »
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL