Author Topic: Yet more late videos NOW WITH RGB LUMINARY VID  (Read 4731 times)

Offline zwiller

I have to thank RJ and everyone here for making this place as cool and helpful as it is.   <res.

Taped 3 days ago after our first snow.  Looking for new ideas for this year. 

Thinking of getting of rid of most of the luminaries.  They just didn't really perform like they look like they would in adjustable preview.  Might add two mega trees on each side.  Another aether II under the entrance instead of the spot light which "showcases my swag" as my wife puts it.  Maybe some smart string window frames and a smaller rgb northstar on top of the entrance.  What would you do???

Comments, suggestions, ridicule, and sarcasm encouraged.   ;D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, by zwiller »
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline SteveMaris

Re: Yet more late videos
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, »
Looks good. I like those little luminaries. The one thing I would do is get another flood light for the porch,
like you said.

The constant "ON" of the porch light was so bad, and so distracting, I had to kick my dog three times.
(Ridicule and sarcasm, as you asked)    ;)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, »
Very Cool!!!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, »
I like the Wish Liszt Song. I have not heard that one before.

The spot light on the front door was mostly distracting but at times it almost provided a surreal effect when the house was all blue from the Aethers. The luminaries was fine with me and it provides a little something different. Of course changing up the layout each year also doesn't hurt. So if you don't use them next year don't get rid of them.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, »
what did you make the illuminaries out of?

also, i didn't mind the porch light.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, »
Looks good. I like those little luminaries. The one thing I would do is get another flood light for the porch,
like you said.

The constant "ON" of the porch light was so bad, and so distracting, I had to kick my dog three times.

7/10 points  <la..  Keep em coming!

Talked to the missus about the porch light and she's OK if I run an aether ll (my family loves them) on the porch during the show but run the spot after the show.  That means I need another one! 8)

The luminaries are cottage cheese containers.  Large commercial ones though.  I get em free  ;D from the missus at the school cafeteria where she works.  I drill a large hole in the bottom, feed in a single c9 attached to one lawn stake and push it down to the ground.  Easy and cheap.  I was toying around the notion of throwing a square rgb node in some and have a look see.  Kinda concerned how to hook em up though they are spaced 4' apart.

Incidentally, I run the luminaries in a slooooow fading chase pattern after the show with no music as late as I want and they are really mesmerizing.  Actually, keeping them on after the show was the wife's idea. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, »
I really like what you did. You did a great job of the sequencing... specifically how certain groups of lights act as "one" or an "instrument". I also love your razor sharp light timing with the music and voices. I personally like smaller yards like yours where the house is the center of attention. Well, maybe I say that because I have a small yard.  ;)

But you can do a lot more with the Aethers than just Red, Green, and Blue. You can mix Red and Blue to get Purple! Or Green and Blue to get a nice Teal! (was that sarcastic enough?) And if you vary the intensities of each to be less than 100%, the selection of colors will make your head spin! (okay, I'll stop there)

I personally like the luminaries; they are something different compared to what I've seen in hundreds of other videos. And I imagine that the storage of them is easy.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, »
with a third aether for the porch, you can turn it on white (maybe not full on) and will still get a spotlight of your front door.
maybe even while the illuminaries are dancing.

Offline meman

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, »
Looks great to me! The luminaries add a lot of fill to the yard and the snow just makes everything glow that much better.  The porch posts are a fav...they have a lot of potential for colors. Real nice job on the window frames too. My windows are kinda lame this year, I only managed to get one frame done before getting distracted and just settling for saggy light strings across the rest.

Thanks for sharing,
Mike E.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, »
Very nice sequencing.  Wish I could do something original, but I have absolutely no musical sense or artistic ability.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, »
I really like what you did. You did a great job of the sequencing... specifically how certain groups of lights act as "one" or an "instrument". I also love your razor sharp light timing with the music and voices. I personally like smaller yards like yours where the house is the center of attention. Well, maybe I say that because I have a small yard.  ;)

But you can do a lot more with the Aethers than just Red, Green, and Blue. You can mix Red and Blue to get Purple! Or Green and Blue to get a nice Teal! (was that sarcastic enough?) And if you vary the intensities of each to be less than 100%, the selection of colors will make your head spin! (okay, I'll stop there)

I personally like the luminaries; they are something different compared to what I've seen in hundreds of other videos. And I imagine that the storage of them is easy.

You got it.  I basically make the layout a big band if you will.  As a musician, this approach works for me.  The ideas for sequencing come easy for me (daughter helps too).  Although I don't despise the grid with vixen I wonder if LSP would make things faster.  Tempted to snag it while on sale since I am not sure if vixen 3.0 will get out of beta by showtime. 

NO; teal is not sarcastic enough!  Pink maybe, but not teal.  Also acceptable would be mauve or lavender.   ;D

So I guess the luminaries will make the cut.  Gonna try a square rgb node with one and see if I can figure out a way to wire em. 

Meman,
Although the frames the were kind of labor intensive to make last year they were a joy this year when all I had to do was zip tie em up and plug in.  Hoping to convert them to smart strings if budget allows.  I really like your show.  Huge amount of lights.  Especially like the strobes. 

Thanks for the input!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, »
Zwiller,

I love seeing what other folks do for a 'small footprint' yard (I live in a townhouse).  You really knocked it out of the park with this show.  Thoroughly enjoyed watching the videos.  I look forward to your show next year! *smile*.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline inzeos

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, »
like you said.

7/10 points  <la..  Keep em coming!

Talked to the missus about the porch light and she's OK if I run an aether ll (my family loves them) on the porch during the show but run the spot after the show.  That means I need another one! 8)

The luminaries are cottage cheese containers.  Large commercial ones though.  I get em free  ;D from the missus at the school cafeteria where she works.  I drill a large hole in the bottom, feed in a single c9 attached to one lawn stake and push it down to the ground.  Easy and cheap.  I was toying around the notion of throwing a square rgb node in some and have a look see.  Kinda concerned how to hook em up though they are spaced 4' apart.

Incidentally, I run the luminaries in a slooooow fading chase pattern after the show with no music as late as I want and they are really mesmerizing.  Actually, keeping them on after the show was the wife's idea.

How do the luminaries compare size wise to a large chinese soup take out container?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, »
Hmm,, if I eat chinese once a week, that's 50 containers !

Offline inzeos

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, »
Hmm,, if I eat chinese once a week, that's 50 containers !

lol or just go to the restaurant supply store and save your heart from the sodium over load :)