Author Topic: Yet more late videos NOW WITH RGB LUMINARY VID  (Read 4729 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Yet more late videos
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm,, if I eat chinese once a week, that's 50 containers !

lol or just go to the restaurant supply store and save your heart from the sodium over load :)

that's the boring, less tasty route!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, »
This is my "peaceful" display. TSO Christmas Canon. Still piecing together the video for 3 other songs. Multi-track editing is not fast.

Only two LEs in the display this year (spiral tree is one of them). One MR16 controlling some spots. D-Light's Firefli controllers (converted to DMX) running the arches and on the roof. The 16 Bellagio Poles are all incandescent. This may be their last year. Time will tell.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, »
Hmm,, if I eat chinese once a week, that's 50 containers !

lol or just go to the restaurant supply store and save your heart from the sodium over load :)

We love our chinese food too (and typically get it on Fridays!) but our chinese food containers for soup here are clear.   >:(  Also the cottage cheese containers I am using are a bit larger.  Measured one and it's 8" tall with a diameter of 6".  Pic attached.  Did some quick googling and found them! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  90% sure mine are 32oz but I didn't keep the lids.  I will look into this and let you know.  That said, any decent size will do.  If you really are into finding some free I am sure you can find some.  Our small school goes through like 4-8 a week.   

Mine have lids that are screened so I didn't use them but I haven't had any problems over 3 seasons.  That said, I probably will use lids if I convert them for square nodes.  Combination of protection and light diffusion that I continue to see in rgb discussions.

First year I kept 8 on a single channel for both sides of the walkway.  Real nice.  Think I converted the missus to blinky with em actually.  2nd year 8 discrete down the walkway and family dug em, this past year 24 all discrete.  Probably the coolest part is the post show slow fades.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, »
a few minutes ago, i just played the first video again...  my daughter (2 yrs old) who was watching a tv show that she really likes (it's hard to get her attentiion when she watches this show) got up, came over to watch the video, and was dancing in time to the music, while moving her hands to some of the lights in the show.

for my own show, she justs looks at the smart string mega tree and says "pretty"

Offline zwiller

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, »
a few minutes ago, i just played the first video again...  my daughter (2 yrs old) who was watching a tv show that she really likes (it's hard to get her attentiion when she watches this show) got up, came over to watch the video, and was dancing in time to the music, while moving her hands to some of the lights in the show.

for my own show, she justs looks at the smart string mega tree and says "pretty"

<la..

SS Mega Tree (insert emoticon for "I am not worthy")  Waaay out of my blinky budget. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, »
my version of the ss mega tree was actually affordable, it has 640 smart string nodes
(i didn't buy the nodes all at once, i bought is stages - i know it's cheaper to get it all at once, but i couldnt afford it all at once.)

then, one hub, and 8 smart string controllers run it.

each string in 80 nodes, run from the bottom up 40 nodes, then double backed down to make it look like there were 16 strings.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, »
This is my "peaceful" display. TSO Christmas Canon. Still piecing together the video for 3 other songs. Multi-track editing is not fast.

Only two LEs in the display this year (spiral tree is one of them). One MR16 controlling some spots. D-Light's Firefli controllers (converted to DMX) running the arches and on the roof. The 16 Bellagio Poles are all incandescent. This may be their last year. Time will tell.

Great job Jon!  Real nice display.  Loved the keys: very original.  Also love the Nutrocker vid from last year too. 

my version of the ss mega tree was actually affordable, it has 640 smart string nodes
(i didn't buy the nodes all at once, i bought is stages - i know it's cheaper to get it all at once, but i couldnt afford it all at once.)

then, one hub, and 8 smart string controllers run it.

each string in 80 nodes, run from the bottom up 40 nodes, then double backed down to make it look like there were 16 strings.

Thanks for the info.  Scary part is every time I look at Ray's site the prices seem more reasonable.   ;D 

Offline zwiller

Re: Yet more late videos RGB Luminary vid
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, »
If anyone was following this thread then here is a video of one dumb square module from Holiday Coro attached to the 3 channel dmx module to etherdongle.  It is just laying in the bottom of the luminary/cottage cheese container.  Output is as good as a c7 incan.  Colors are vibrant!  I feel that my iphone is excerbating the red overtone of the "warm white" and affected by the brief flashes.  I do plan on some sort of white correction but it really isn't that bad in real life.  I was happy with the outcome since this was my first experience with a 3 led module.  Will be going the smart versions from Ray in the end. 

Offline chrisatpsu

Re: Yet more late videos NOW WITH RGB LUMINARY VID
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, »
thanks for the update, i now know what i'm going to do with my smart string metal squares!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, »
Looks Great!

Offline winwin

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, »
Simply beautiful and the luminaries are great! while they are all amazing, I enjoyed the most #1. Great sequencing!
AL.

Offline travailen

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, »
I liked your "crisp" sequencing. You did a great job.
The luminaries are a great idea. One node, not too expensive, lots of colors and light. Thanks for sharing. I think many displays will have luminaries this year (mine included).

Rick S

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, »

Nice.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, »
...I have to thank RJ and everyone here for making this place as cool and helpful as it is.   <res.
Thinking of getting of rid of most of the luminaries.
  They just didn't really perform like they look like they would in adjustable preview.  Might add two mega trees on each side.  Another aether II under the entrance instead of the spot light which "showcases my swag" as my wife puts it.  Maybe some smart string window frames and a smaller rgb northstar on top of the entrance.  What would you do???

Comments, suggestions, ridicule, and sarcasm encouraged.   ;D

Luminaries were definitely cool, front porch posts -- nice.    Windows Yes!  Perhaps turn the front of the porch into a giant arch?  Definitely get the aether II.  Excellent sequences. 
my $0.0155 worth.

R,
Tony "C"
R,
Tony "C"

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, »
Zwiller,

Great sequencing.  I loved your show. 

Now as for the luminaries.  Love them.  I've been trying to figure out how to do something similar for a couple of years.  OK, I've been thinking about it for that long.  I was thinking some sort of mini tree, but I think I like your idea better.  I think I'll get some similarly sized containers and see what I like, lights inside or the square RGB modules.

How far can we have the square 3 LED SSC modules spaced on a smart string?  Anybody know off the top of their head?  (I know, it is probably in the wiki)

Ron