Author Topic: Has anyone seen this with xlights?  (Read 5169 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Has anyone seen this with xlights?
« on: January 05, 2012, »
For the most part, xlights has done a great job for me this year.

However, I've seen a couple of things and wondering if anyone else has seen this also.

(1) Sometimes after playing a sequence ... the lights stay on and sometimes even stay on in an 'animated' manner ... till the next sequence starts and sends an 'off' signal for those channels.
     This seemed to be a problem only with the xlights .xseq format files (LOR .lms converted to .xseq). I think.  So I tried to add a sequence that would just turn everything off for 3 seconds and schedule it between the real songs, but that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.  So anyways, wondering if anyone has experienced similar.

(2) I noticed that on some conversion of files from .lms to .xseq that the file sizes actually increased.  I'm not sure, but it seems like these don't necessary play back better in a lot of instances than the original .lms file did. 

(3) I have one or two .xseq converted sequences which in fact play back incorrectly ... and I had to revert to using the .lms file instead after realizing this.  They are fairly rare, but with 15 songs, I had one or two like this and could provide for testing, if that would be helpful.

(4) This could perhaps be related to #1 above, maybe not ... but when I start a sequence ... it almost appears that sometimes its 'catching up' ... and fairly out of sequence with the music, but then 5-10 seconds into the playback of a .xseq sequence ... it appears to catch up and then be fine thereafter.  I was wondering if anybody had seen that.

I'm running xlights with 272 LOR channels on a LOR network and that is combined with 4096 channels on a PIXELNET network.  Mostly playing .lms files converted to .xseq and a few .lms mixed in.  I also converted all sequencing to use .WAV audio files as well.  Still experiencing some LAG on playback, esp. with some pixelnet channels.  I've heard LOR format can be slow ... so wondering if I converted to DMX on the LOR boxes if that wouldn't solve it.  My long range goal is to move away from LOR boxes and toware more DMX controlled LE boxes.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Has anyone seen this with xlights?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, »
I haven't but my sequences are Vixen so the conversion is much easier

Have you tried redoing the conversions with the newest version of xLights 2012a. I think Matt fixed some issues with the conversion and it can not do batch conversion.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, »
I know that with LSP programing you have to have an empty timing cell at the end of a sequence to basically turn all of the lights off. Don't know if this helps or not.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, »
Thanks ... I'll re-convert with the latest and see how that goes.

I could also go into each sequence and try to put an OFF event in there at the end.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, »
I think Matt added an option to add an Off during the conversion. Could save you some time

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, »
Yes he did !!!   Thanks, thats awesome.

Thanks Matt !!

I'll convert them all today and try again tonight, since the
show is still up.

Offline thestig

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, »
I am confused  <fp. Everyone talks about converting LOR sequences to Xlights, but i just put my LOR sequences and audio in the xlights folder and select the sequence and play it. I have never converted the sequence over. are we talking about two separate things here?

Grant

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, »
Nice forum name Grant.

I think you CAN run your LOR sequences without converting them, there is just a lot of optimization that occurs if you do the conversion process.  Meaning you get a much smaller file if you convert to the xLights format.  Might be an issue with large RGB type sequences.

Ron

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, »
right, you can play in LOR .lms format just fine, but as the sequences get larger (say 10+ MB) there can be issues with the
playback of the .lms files.

so xlights has a conversion utility where you can convert .lms files to .xseq files and generally they are smaller.  I have some
32mb files that shrunk to like 10mb via. this conversion.

This conversion to .xseq format can potentially solve other playback issues.  In my case, I had a DMX corostart that didn't play
whatsoever on certain .lms files ... but after converting to .xseq format ... that display item worked perfectly.  I can't explain that
other than .xseq worked better.

My setup is 272 LOR conventional and 4096 pixelnet with some RGB and some incan. conventional.

Offline thestig

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, »
thanks for the reply's, I will be running 4000 channels rgb this year so I am assuming I will be down this road soon enough. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Back to original topic!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, »
I had some of the same issues. In my case I think it started with the LSP to LMS conversion as I haven't heard of any vixen users having problems.

Offline sielbear

Has anyone seen this with xlights?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, »
It really depends on how complex your source files were to determine the compression you'll get in the conversion. Two things to note: 1. My xseq files were done in segments of exactly 30 or 45 seconds. Those 30 second files were all 4.9 Mb and the 45 second files were 7 and change if I recall correctly. What I'm saying is the file size was a constant as long as duration and # of channels remained constant. 2. My 30 files often started at 190 Mb. Going from 190 Mb to 4.9 Mb was a GAME changer. Playback was amazingly smooth with the xseq format.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, »
Ok, so I found that one of my sequences plays back incorrectly whether I use .lms or .xseq ... so I'm calling that a bad sequence for now.

Since my show is about to be dismantled in a day anyways, I decided to see about running my LOR boxes in DMX mode.  OMG, I had no idea
it would be THIS EASY !!  Since I previously had needed to re-assign my LOR boxes to use consecutive UNIT #'s i.e.  01,02....09,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F,10,11 ... I read
that this also determines the starting DMX address.  I had previously re-flashed my LOR boxes (while connected) to the latest firmware which supports
DMX control on the PC16 controllers. 

Then I was thinking of how to do this and it dawned on my that I could use my extra Lynx Dongle to replace the LOR USB adapter I had been using the run the LOR
boxes via LOR protocol.

So anyways, I re-flashed my spare Pixelnet Dongle to DMX and connected it to my DMX to LOR convertor cable ... added a coupler ... and then hooked it up to my LOR
network CAT5 instead of the LOR adaptor I had been using since 2008.  THen I went into xlights and deleted the LOR network for the first 272 channels and then added
a new LynX DMX network for my first  272 channels instead ...  then tried it ... and WOW ... it worked perfect.

I swear DMX is way faster and less laggy than using LOR.  I wish this had been emphasized more clearly to me previously.  OMG, I think most of my problems were because the
LOR protocol is so slow.  So running it two one Lynx Dongle to DMX control the 17 LOR controllers in DMX and then the other Dongle to PIXELNET to the SS HUB
for the rest ... was amazing !!  I had never seen my show look so good before.  I swear I must have grown used to the lag ... so watching my megatrees spinning with no lag
was like putting glasses for the first time.  My world had never looked BETTER !!

I ran them with .xseq files (converted from .lms files using latest xlights version) and it was like a show I had never seen before.  BETTER !!!!  WOW!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, by taybrynn »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, »
LOR to DMX cable? Is that the idmx? A detailed "how to" would be helpful in case I need to do this next season for the conductor to run my LOR boxes as I haven't yet heard if LOR will be supported on the conductor.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, »
The LOR controllers will listen for either protocol and switch on the fly.  All that is need is a crossover cable on the different pins to get it to listen.  You can use the Lynx dongle, LOR USB485, Enttec or almost whatever adapter you want as long as you have the + and - pins setup properly.  Mix and match the hardware almost anyway you want.  I tested a bunch of combinations and the only adapter I had issues with S3 and DMX was the LOR USB485B adapter. I still need to test it more but my display is down.