Author Topic: Has anyone seen this with xlights?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Has anyone seen this with xlights?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, »
One thing to note though about LOR running in DMX is that the firmware on the controllers has to be 4.2 or newer. That goes back a long way, but is something that has to be done with the older controllers to run DMX.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, »
JUst to be clear, this cable is NOT the same as the IDMX or IDMX1000 ... Thats an LOR device to get you DMX 512 channels in an LOR way.
This is just to convert wiring from LOR version of DMX (on 4,5) to standard DMX wiring (on 1,2).

And as mentioned above, you have to flash your LOR controllers to latest firmware, which can be done easily using the LOR 'Hardware' utility.
In fact, I flashed mine while they are all outside hooked up ... in the yard, on the roof ... so pretty nice to be able to do that remotely and in
the middle of the night from inside.

Yeah, I had originally made the LOR to DMX cable to program the 3ch DMX modules you can get from holidaycoro .
That allowed me to program the DMX controller address using their free software using this cable and the LOR
USB adaptor ... and a loose wire + cat5 cord on the other side going to the DMX module I was wanting to program.

Its nothing more than taking the blue and blue+white on one side and cross connecting those to wires 1 & 2 on
the DMX side.  I took a quick connect rj45 (cat5) jack and just put the blue and blue+white from the LOR side of
the cable and put it into 1,2 on the quick connect jack and then closed it with the plastic clamper.  Then in the DMX
SIDE (using 1,2) you connect it ... and on the LOR SIDE (using 4,5) you connect it.  I didn't even connect any other
wires in the cat5.

THey now have similar quick connect jacks at home depot (in the home LV wiring section) to make a cat5 quick splice ... for
$2 or less ... so very reasonable and very EASY !!  (no soldering required).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, »
WOW I cannot believe that someone else has their cables as organized as mine!  <la..

Great info thanks Taybrynn!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, »
yes, its a total disaster -- LOL

This is a royal hack job, I realize ... but just wanted to see if it would work.

Since xlights basically requires you have your LOR controllers in the hex order
(in terms of unit numbering) and no skipping of units ... that basically the
same thing needed for DMX use, except DMX uses default addresses based on
the UNIX # assigned. 

That that would have been a problem, but since I used a different dongle I didn't
have to re-map anything on my pixelnet stuff.  I didn't even think about using the
LOR interface, but it probably would have worked also, maybe with less cables
and couplers !!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, »
Here is the best diagram I have found on building a crossover cable for Lynx and LOR.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, »
RIght, I used that one also.  Be careful with the term crossover cable ... because some go out and buy a networking crossover cable
thinking its the same thing ... it isn't.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, »
Okay to make sure I got this right, I cut one end of a patch cable off and hook up a jack to the cut end only using solid blue with pin1 and Blue/White to pin 2. No other wires connected to the jack. Then plug that into my DMX output of my Smartstring Hub and go from there to my LOR network. Correct? I had noticed this year that running my Rainbow Floods from my Smartstring Hub into my Rainbow Brain then to my floods, I would see an occasional delay before the floods would kick on. It was easy to see as I had leds from my LOR network on either side of the flood. I had to run a separate dongle for my Floods and that fixed it. Maybe running dmx out of a Hub board rinning over a 1000 pixel was too much traffic for 1 usb dongle?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Has anyone seen this with xlights?
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, »
Sounds right to me ... Dmx is just two wires (1&2) and LOR DMX uses wires (4&5).  There is a ground but also but I don't think it's needed.   DMX is just a lot faster protocol than LOR